• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Im stupid. Need help.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just threw a new clutch kit, new pre-bled slave cylinder, new dry master cylinder, and line on a 95 ranger 2.3, 5 speed 2wd. Ive gravity bled it for 10 minutes, pumped it like brakes for a while. Went through almost a whole big bottle of brake fluid trying to bleed it and i still cant get it to pump up. The fluid shoots out and doesnt look like it has air in it when i pump the pedal and crack the bleeder. Any suggestions?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If it is full ... Keep pumping

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Dry master.... pre bled slave....

:huh:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Master is very difficult to bleed in the truck due to the design. Easiest and most reliable way is to bleed it before installation.

The fluid path is shaped like an upside down N, if that makes sense, so there is a pocket where air likes to get trapped.

I've heard suggestions of pumping the clutch really fast to get the air moving, but didn't have any luck. Had to take the master back out to get it.

Also, I used a self adjusting clutch. When I first put it in the grab point was nearly at the floor, but did disengage completely. After driving for a few weeks the peddle was back in the center of the stroke.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Master is very difficult to bleed in the truck due to the design. Easiest and most reliable way is to bleed it before installation.

The fluid path is shaped like an upside down N, if that makes sense, so there is a pocket where air likes to get trapped.

I've heard suggestions of pumping the clutch really fast to get the air moving, but didn't have any luck. Had to take the master back out to get it.

Also, I used a self adjusting clutch. When I first put it in the grab point was nearly at the floor, but did disengage completely. After driving for a few weeks the peddle was back in the center of the stroke.
Lovely, I’ll pull it and try to bled it. It took me longer to fight that thing into the square hole than it did to pull the transmission lol. How do i know if it’s self adjusting? If it isn’t how do i adjust it?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
It is self adjusting.

I have a few ways to do this.

But pulling it out of the firewall and making the master the lowest point is the easiest.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
To bench bleed a brake master I clamp the flange in a vise, put something under it to catch the fluid, put 2 fingers over the holes and SLOWLY push the plunger in with a screwdriver. The air- and fluid- will squirt out as the plunger is depressed and it's easy to tell when the air is gone. Obviously you only have one port to cover but the principle is the same. It might help to put a length of vacuum hose on the bleeder screw and run it into a small container with a little brake fluid in it if you can get at the bleeder screw.
You're not stupid, bleeding hydraulic clutches is a pain in the arse.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How do i know if it’s self adjusting? If it isn’t how do i adjust it?

Did you get it from a parts store? Should say somewhere in the part description. Rock auto has S/A and non S/A listings.

Non self adjusting clutch doesn't get a adjusted. You start with the peddle up high and as it wears it grabs closer to the floor.

factory clutch is self adjusting, the non self adjusting clutch is normally a bit less expensive.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It is self adjusting.

I have a few ways to do this.

But pulling it out of the firewall and making the master the lowest point is the easiest.
I like that idea. Just drop it under the truck and pump it with a screwdriver through the whole system from there?

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you get it from a parts store? Should say somewhere in the part description. Rock auto has S/A and non S/A listings.

Non self adjusting clutch doesn't get a adjusted. You start with the peddle up high and as it wears it grabs closer to the floor.

factory clutch is self adjusting, the non self adjusting clutch is normally a bit less expensive.
Yeah, my brother in law got it. Its his truck, hes just paying me to fix it. Ill have to grab the box and look it up

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You have to stomp the pedal down very hard & fast (like violently fast... 10 times in a row over 3-4 seconds time), followed by another pump or two of bleeding it in the more-normal fashion to get the air out after the air has gotten down into the slave cyl.
There is a technique to it, but so far I've always managed to get it to work (probably about 7 or 8 times I've done it). Just make sure the reservoir is full first when you start. (already made that mistake once. lol)

Of course if the MC isn't installed yet, then certainly it'll be easier to bench-bleed it first for sure.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have to stomp the pedal down very hard & fast (like violently fast... 10 times in a row over 3-4 seconds time), followed by another pump or two of bleeding it in the more-normal fashion to get the air out after the air has gotten down into the slave cyl.
There is a technique to it, but so far I've always managed to get it to work (probably about 7 or 8 times I've done it). Just make sure the reservoir is full first when you start. (already made that mistake once. lol)

Of course if the MC isn't installed yet, then certainly it'll be easier to bench-bleed it first for sure.
Ill give it a try first. Its all together, just not looking forward to removing the master again. Id like to meet the engineer that decided fishing it into a square hole is better than just bolting it to the firewall.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Grab a bleeder from harbor freight they are like $20. They work wonders when your leg wears out

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well i bought a hand pump bleeder and pumped fluid through the bleeder. Still got nothing. Next step is to take it off and get it below the bleeder. I used my sawzall to pump the hell pedal for a while lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals