• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm pissed with a Dealer

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
My clutch slave cylinder went out on my 2002 Fx4 the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I had to go back to East Carolina that Monday, so I decided to let Ford fix this truck. I took three days for them to get the parts, they used a kit, and when I had paid for the services ($779.00) I decided to check the truck out in the parking lot.

I looked in the floor board and saw a piece of silver plastic with a screw through it. :shok: So I decided to pull the truck up to the front. The clutch releases on the floor, I choked it off several times before getting it to move, and the 4x4 would not engage (manual 4x4). The stick would 'pop' back down when pulled into 4H. :annoyed:

I noticed that that plastic piece was what used to hold the housing down around the shifters, that housing as it was just moved with the stick. I was pissed. :annoyed: I took it back to the parts manager and when I confronted him about the damage he replied, "It's only plastic." I was really pissed. :pissedoff:

The stick for the 4x4 was way out of adjustment and the switch for the indicator lights were constant. Turns out the switch was bad. Wonder if the adjustment could have caused this?

They did manage to use some wood screws to keep my housing in place, but still that's crappy work. On top of that when they mounted it down they broke one of the clips that holds the leather down on the tcase shifter! The stick collides with the plastic housing keeping it from moving into 4L as of right now, which caused the clip to break (statching on the shifter, as per mechanic did, did not fix the problem).

I guess noone knows what they are doing anymore. Where in the world are my good mechanics for Ford? So shameful.

I hate myself for letting this happen to a truck that I love so much.:bawling:

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a real shame man, I'm sorry that happened and hope you are able to persuade the dealer to fix the damage they caused...
Whenever I need to have a mechanic look at/work on my vehicles I try to find some sort of small business. With the exception of getting hard-to-find parts, I stay away from dealerships on principle...with some research I bet you can find a Ford certified mechanic who's been working on fords for years and years running his own shop. Establish a good relationship with that guy! Unlike the giant dealership, that guy needs a REPEAT customer to pay his bills and feed his family, you're much more likely to get good work from someone who wants you to come back.
Hope your problems get fixed to your satisfaction. Sad to hear that someone would charge you that kind of money and then brazenly present you with shoddy work...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Unlike the giant dealership, that guy needs a REPEAT customer to pay his bills and feed his family, you're much more likely to get good work from someone who wants you to come back.
Wow, I guess you don't understand business at all. We rely on repeat business just as much as the little guy. In fact, the single thing that I hate to see the most is a car that has never been to my shop before. I know nothing about it, it's history, it's owner, any of it.

That being said, I agree that the dealer you went to did some shit work and needs to fix it. If that happened at my shop the guy working on it would be paying for the damaged parts, and you would probably be getting a free fill up or oil change for your trouble.

We aren't all bad, but there are some real idiots out there these days.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any idiot can fill out an application. Just because you went to the dealership, doesn't mean they are all experts.

We get Ranger owner customers all the time at our small shop. Just from my trucks sitting out front, they know somebody there knows their way around a Ranger.

Chances are your SOL on getting your ride fixed. If you want it done right, do it yourself, or find somebody you know that can do it right.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've had issues with dealers before as well. My Brother recently took his Escape in because the right rear tire would make a little serious of clicks when he turned right. The mechanic told him his driveline was shot and charged him 90 dollars for the diagnostic. He asked me about it, and I told him to go ask the service manager how they arrived at that conclusion. The service manager investigated, and found that the only issue was a bad U-joint. Sons-a-b&*#@# charged him 300 some odd dollars to fix a 15 dollar U-joint.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want it done right, do it yourself, or find somebody you know that can do it right.
That is hard to do without turning them lose on your truck to see if it is all show or if there is any go to there story about how good they are though...

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
the real crappy part about the hole ordeal is you had to dish out a chunk of change and got broken parts.

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies... I have been trying to relax the entire time over this ordeal, and every time I go out to the truck I get re-pissed off. I think if I get the shifter linkage adjusted properly It will not collide with the housing. What is the proper procedure for adjusting the tcase lever?

Thanks, and to all those who are Ford techs....I know there are those who care and those who don't, I won't let one guy's actions ruin the reputation of all of you. :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is the t-case lever hitting the shifter bezel or something on the trans?

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
When shifting into 4H it will not hold the position and when trying to move the lever to the left to attempt 4L it collides with the bezel.

Thanks

wvfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4x4
Make / Model
99 ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
me
That's a real shame man, I'm sorry that happened and hope you are able to persuade the dealer to fix the damage they caused...
Whenever I need to have a mechanic look at/work on my vehicles I try to find some sort of small business. With the exception of getting hard-to-find parts, I stay away from dealerships on principle...with some research I bet you can find a Ford certified mechanic who's been working on fords for years and years running his own shop. Establish a good relationship with that guy! Unlike the giant dealership, that guy needs a REPEAT customer to pay his bills and feed his family, you're much more likely to get good work from someone who wants you to come back.
Hope your problems get fixed to your satisfaction. Sad to hear that someone would charge you that kind of money and then brazenly present you with shoddy work...
verry well said:beer:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When shifting into 4H it will not hold the position and when trying to move the lever to the left to attempt 4L it collides with the bezel.

Thanks
Yeah, something is out of adjustment underneath, but it also sounds like the bezel may not be positioned correctly.

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Took it back today, they replaced the bad 4x4 light switch and found that the bezel was incorrectly positioned. The mount positions were all broke out around the bezel. They used some longer screws with washers to hold it down. So that's fixed.

Next they looked at the linkage underneath the truck and said that it was non adjustable, but now that it doesn't collide with the bezel it 'pops' out of 4H when accelerating. Shifting into 4H feels like the detent is not hardly there. What I really need an exploded view of the linkage and adjustment procedure for the tcase shifter.

Thanks

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually, there really isn't much of an adjustment on the 4x4 shifter. I have a similar issue with my 1354M. I'll forward you a PM conversation about the issue I had with AllanD.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals