• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Im new here

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone Im new here as i said in the title. Heres my first question. Im going to look at a 1990 Ranger 5 spd 2.3 with 90,000 miles. he says the interior is flawless and the paint is the original so its faded etc. minor dents and stuff. But it doesnt run in the ad he says timing is off. do you think the belt sliped or just gave out. And in this condition what would you say its worth since he says in the ad to make him an offer. I just dont want to buy it and end up having it be something really expensive. Heck i lucked out on the one i have now i mean its beat for interior and body whys but i got it for 400 and the guy thought it blew up. Here the stater solonoid went the same time the oil pump got cloged and the valves were tapping when he shut it off and it wouldnt start again. Plus its a 92 motor just ashame the thing is so rough i dont feel like putting money into it thats why im going to look at this one.Thanks for any advice

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
first of all welcome to the ranger station. second if the timing is off install a new belt if it jumped with the one it will do it again. i would start at $150 cause you can always go up to where you feel comfortable.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Normally, with decent maintenance, the 2.3's are fairly indestructable. If it has the original timing belt it's a good bet it's gone south.

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I thnk ill try to pull the cover back a little and see if i can see the belt. Ill let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright ill make this quick. Long story short timimng belt jumped off . So if i just take off the belt then set it to Tdc then put the belt on is that all i have to do.?
thanks for any info

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Another question so the belt jumped off. I have been told the 2.3s are non-interferance motors . Is this true? Or could have the pistons hit the valves?and possible bent the valves? he turned the motor over for me but it sounded fine turning over. would i be able to hear anythying? thanks.

Jonboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2.3L is a non interference motor, should have no problems. Put a NEW belt on it should be ok

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.3 is a non interference motor should have no problems put the new belt on it should be ok
+1 on a NEW belt don't reuse the old one. you will end up in the same boat

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright. cool, i read the Haynes Manual lastnight and it said about possible damage but i just wanted to check. Im pickin it up tomorrow hopefully i get time to work on it this week. the only thing i dont like about this truck is that the one coil pack is under the intake. where as on my 89 with the 92 motor both the coil packs are by the exhaust side. thanks again everyone

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals