• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) im gonna do a carb cleaner spray vacuum leak test

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
closed loop fueling is the engine computer using the oxygen sensor input to control the engine fueling, the normal oxygen sensor on most cars are "narrow band" sensors and only know if the fueling is rich or lean by the voltage, anything below around .45V is lean and over .45V to around 1V is rich, to keep the catalyst working efficiently it switches from slightly rich to slightly lean to get a little extra fuel with the little extra oxygen to keep the chemical reaction with the precious metals going on to keep the stuff under control.

That ball thing with one vacuum line is a vacuum canister to hold some vacuum to help some systems work when a low vacuum event happens.

Most flammable sprays will work to help look for a vacuum leak, an unlit but flowing propane torch works too...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
i am still confused as to what is
CCO,
+VENT SOL V,
CAN
i was able to google all the other terms .
I also noticed the vacuum diagram leads to the fuel pump assembly. could the vacuum leak possibly be from fuel pump replacement by a sloppy mechanic? after he replaced my fuel pump 3 years ago, i got a check engine light for a leaking hose between my gas cap and fuel pump.

ALSO, what is this big ball thingy? could this be a source of vacuum leak

I am novice mechanic trying to teach myself how to do this :0
We don't say "ball thingy" here, that's a vacuum reservoir. In the past they looked like soup cans.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
^^^
will it just pop out with my hands and/or a small screwdriver?
thank you internet, you have taught me so much and have saved me thousands of dollars in repairs already

Most flammable sprays will work to help look for a vacuum leak, an unlit but flowing propane torch works too...
i was told that when using propane instead of brake cleaner, it is much more difficult to hear the change in idle, because the propane is much less 'energy dense' or something along that lines.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
i was trying the vacuum leak test with brake cleaner, but it was coming out as a spray of liquid instead of an aerosol'd spray. should i cease using this liquid and buy a different spray?

also do i need to clean this off my engine bay now? how long do i need to wait before i can spray with hose?

after brake cleaner (degreaser?) has been hosed off, how long should i wait before starting vehicle?
(it is cloudy and rainy today, so i figure it will take much longer for water to evaporate from engine bay)

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have learned to use starter fluid for checking vacuum leaks. Everything else I have tried was not very successful. I just spray a little at a time and let it dissipate some before spraying again, just in case something lights it up. That way the flash will be smaller and less dangerous. It works very well in finding vacuum leaks but you must be careful with it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
i was trying the vacuum leak test with brake cleaner, but it was coming out as a spray of liquid instead of an aerosol'd spray. should i cease using this liquid and buy a different spray?

also do i need to clean this off my engine bay now? how long do i need to wait before i can spray with hose?

after brake cleaner (degreaser?) has been hosed off, how long should i wait before starting vehicle?
(it is cloudy and rainy today, so i figure it will take much longer for water to evaporate from engine bay)
After I motor wash vehicles I blow the bulk of the water off with compressed air and then start it up to evaporate the rest. I always use carb clean or brake clean because I have them. Spray oil would work too but it would make a mess.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
"I have learned to use starter fluid for checking vacuum leaks "
i bought some starter fluid and could not hear a change in revs.
I have a $3 usb scanner but the wifi connection crapped out while i was running the test.
maybe ill try again today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals