• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I’m never going to go test drive Electric Vehicles

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You would put a 2.9 in a Godzilla? How would that even work?
I meant a godzilla in a bronco.

I feel like shit and my brain is running about as hard as a 3.0 down 2 cylinders

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I was gonna buy Chevy Bolt....I see a lot of em around, they're like little electric go karts...and I heard they have enough pep to spin the tires taking off from a stop.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I was gonna buy Chevy Bolt....I see a lot of em around, they're like little electric go karts...and I heard they have enough pep to spin the tires taking off from a stop.
Wouldn't surprise me - one of the startling things about electric systems is the instantly available torque. My son's tiny electric motorcycle will launch you off the back if you're not paying attention. Top speed is maybe 20mph but it comes on like flipping a light switch. Hoping to smooth that out soon by replacing the controller with a programmable unit.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Wouldn't surprise me - one of the startling things about electric systems is the instantly available torque. My son's tiny electric motorcycle will launch you off the back if you're not paying attention. Top speed is maybe 20mph but it comes on like flipping a light switch. Hoping to smooth that out soon by replacing the controller with a programmable unit.
There's a variety among the kids at my buddys place we all meet/toy around at...Cake, surron, a bunch of others I cant recall...yea theyre way different that ICE powered bikes. I'm not a fan.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Carefully...

Sounds a lot more like insurance fraud than an issue with the truck involved.
I would love to know what all they did to justify it.

As far as insurance fraud that is getting close to a total loss.

For that kind of disparity I would think they would have had to send an inspector out to look at it...

Who knows what kind of half baked repair procedures a startup would come up with too.
I was in collision repair for 16 years. I'll die on this hill. I'm happy to see a shop actually charging for things they should be charging for. I've worked for enough shops that gave away work to "keep the insurance companies happy". Theres so many "not included" items that shops don't add to estimates because they simply don't know about, or don't know how to negotiate for. Labor, equipment, training, is all expensive and the shops who are certified to make the repairs should get paid every penny.

I'd like to see that Rivian in person, if the bill was $42k it probably had some pretty obvious structural damage that wasn't apparent in the photos. Which is another pet peeve of mine, people judging from pictures. A lot of these insurance companies write estimates from nothing more than pictures these days. I loved getting a photo estimate and quadrupling it before I even did a tear down on the car.

People need to realize insurance companies have been holding back the repair industry for decades. When you go to your mechanic what is their labor rate? 120, 130 an hour? Collision shops are less than half of that because of the insurance industry.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was in collision repair for 16 years. I'll die on this hill. I'm happy to see a shop actually charging for things they should be charging for. I've worked for enough shops that gave away work to "keep the insurance companies happy". Theres so many "not included" items that shops don't add to estimates because they simply don't know about, or don't know how to negotiate for. Labor, equipment, training, is all expensive and the shops who are certified to make the repairs should get paid every penny.

I'd like to see that Rivian in person, if the bill was $42k it probably had some pretty obvious structural damage that wasn't apparent in the photos. Which is another pet peeve of mine, people judging from pictures. A lot of these insurance companies write estimates from nothing more than pictures these days. I loved getting a photo estimate and quadrupling it before I even did a tear down on the car.

People need to realize insurance companies have been holding back the repair industry for decades. When you go to your mechanic what is their labor rate? 120, 130 an hour? Collision shops are less than half of that because of the insurance industry.
Then why do most of them refuse any rust or restoration work?

I have literally offered the local guys cash, in hand, to reshoot old metal or make minor rust repairs, and I'm always told, "sorry, insurance work only."

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

I have literally offered the local guys cash, in hand, to reshoot old metal or make minor rust repairs, and I'm always told, "sorry, insurance work only."
Ive had maaco do rust work

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

They make their money commuting insurance fraud. They charge the insurance company for new OEM parts, show the receipt, they return them and use cheap aftermarket parts.

sometimes they will return the damaged parts to the dealer and sell the OEM parts, while still using aftermarket parts.

Seems like most of the big collision places around here do it that way.

Although, not wanting to do rust repairs and only doing insurance work are two different things.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They make their money commuting insurance fraud. They charge the insurance company for new OEM parts, show the receipt, they return them and use cheap aftermarket parts.

sometimes they will return the damaged parts to the dealer and sell the OEM parts, while still using aftermarket parts.

Although, not wanting to do rust repairs and only doing insurance work are two different things.
Idk. I need to work out the body shop thing. A few of my trucks, 2011 ranger included, need minor rust work.

RRI in Pittsburgh does great heavy rust repair, but their work isn't uh... finish grade quality. They're great at patching unibody and frames, but I wouldn't want them to do the bottoms of my doors on my 2011 or the bed skirts on my GMC.

I'll see what I can find.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Because rust and restoration work sucks, it always takes too long and 99% of people who want it done to their shitbox suck to deal with.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

That is certainly insurance fraud. That is what shops that don't know what they're doing do. From my experience about 95% of shops don't know what they're doing. The shops that are good, do everything right, educate their customers, and get paid, are few and far between.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Because rust and restoration work sucks, it always takes too long and 99% of people who want it done to their shitbox suck to deal with.
Wanna do easy af rust work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals