• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm an RV fan, and love to camp.

Motor home fan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge Banner
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, my name's Chip and I am happy to be a part of the group. I have a 1973 22' Dodge Banner RV. With a 440 CID automatic transmission. I call it the BEAST. I paid 350.00 for it and the brakes had not been working for 20 years. The drums are seized up but I've got three of them turning now. Plan to do a complete brake removal and replacement including the lines. Already put a new master cylinder and replaced three brake lines and I haven't even moved it yet. The selling point for me was the engine and transmission. Put a battery in it and filled the Holley four barrel float bowls with gas. It rolled over twice and roared to life. Ran like a champ! Industrial engine but not sure about the transmission. It doesn't look that big under the huge beast of a chassis, so I'm thinking it is a 727 torque flite transmission. It's an"M" chassis according to what I have been told. It's not quite the same as my 72 Chrysler Concord was. It had a 413 CID engine. It admittedly got pretty decent mileage. I filled both tanks for the the low price of 100 dollars, ( back in 1996 )! I made it from northern Michigan to just north of Elizabeth town KY. before running out of gas. The gauge didn't work so I coasted to the side of the freeway and put out triangles, then slept from 2:30am-6:00am. I woke up and walked to the next exit ramp about a quarter mile away and bought a new gas can and was back on the road to Nashville TN. Made it safely to the amazement of all my friends. Drove that machine all over the south to all the NASCAR races. Mount Eagle was a breeze for the Hulk. Scared the hell out of everyone going down the other side though. I never doubted that old boy for a second. Good times!!! Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of the RV family. Looking forward to seeing more of the stories and solutions in the future. Anyone know where to go to for advice on my current RV? Looking for parts and advice from all who are willing to share your thoughts. Thanks again.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
your RV sounds like quite an adventure-mobile.
most of us on this forum drive Ford Ranger compact pickups.
there is at least 1 member here that sells/services RVs.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
I worked for RV Dlr / Wholesale RV Parts Distributor ( I was about to say how many yrs ago, but let's just say I still had hair ).

Motor home fan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge Banner
Transmission
Automatic
I worked for RV Dlr / Wholesale RV Parts Distributor ( I was about to say how many yrs ago, but let's just say I still had hair ).
I would love to have the name of the dealership where you worked. I'm having some trouble identifying the chassis to exact specs. It has Chrysler engine and transmission but there is a badge on the dash that says GM coach. Not positive about the word coach because I have to go look at it to be sure. I'm still trying to get the rear wheels on the left side of it off to break the brake drum loose just so I can move it from where it's been parked for the last 10-20 years. Already replaced three brake lines and the master cylinder just to have enough brakes to move it a mile away and park it temporarily. I call it the BEAST or the hulk because of the 440 big block in it. I digress, just trying to get brake system parts to completely rebuild the system from front to back.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Alas, they changed ownership back in the 20th Century , and any of the tech guys I used to know would be long retired . But I'll try to share some general background .

Other than * THE * GMC Motorhome ( front wheel drive, all fiberglass, very unique and distinctive ), major vehicle mfgs didn't make motorhomes .

There were/ are a zillion RV mfgs , 90% plus centered in Elkhart In . Ranged from medium large corps to small mom & pop operations . They all purchased either cab & chassis, or running chassis, from either Ford, Chevy, or Dodge , pretty much interchangeably , even within same brand of RV .

Do you have a Class A or Class C motorhome ? Class C has a van type cab and front end, as seen on hi cube cargo vans . Class A , all of the body is made by the RV mfg , with only the chassis and running gear by Ford, Chevy, or Dodge .

The Class C's generally used standard configuration one ton dually Cab & Chassis . The Class A had more variation in their spec'ing , but nothing too off the wall , compared to school busses, medium duty flatbeds etc .

And they didn't mix & match powertrains . Ford was in Ford Chassis, Chevy in Chevy Chassis, Dodge likewise .

Yes, that is a 727 trans .

Find the been in business long time, independent shop specializing in Medium Duty trucks , in your area , and they should be very familiar with things .

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hi, my names Bob and I'm an alco....

Wait.

Wrong forum.

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals