• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition Switch won't go back to power up radio?

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I got a 2004 FX4 and when I try to turn the key back to listen to the radio it doesn't work. The only way I can get it to get power to the radio is turn the key to the run position and that turns all the start up lights on the dash on. I don't think it's normal but I don't know much?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know what year, or how yours is supposed to be, but at some point Ford switched the accessory position to be between off and run, rather than a click back from off.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
It's a 2004 and I tried that but still nothing. I didn't get a manual with it so I'm not sure if a fuse could be causing the problem. The radio works fine when the truck is running or the ignition switch is in the run position. I just had the turn signal switch out because it won't turn off the signal when I turn right but works fine with a left turn. neither 1 is a big deal just irritating especially when I forget to turn it off for several blocks. I looked for any possible loose wires but nothing looked out of place.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's either a physical issue with the key cylinder or the switch, or your account position is one click forward instead of back. There are no fuses or wiring involved in not being able to turn the key backwards.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 09 goes backwards for accessory so your 04 should too. On my older worn out key I gotta jiggle and wack it to get it to move back though. Like Adsm said, if it's not turning backwards it's a mechanical issue with the key/lock not something electrical.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Sorry, I didn't relies I had not said that it goes to the acc. or the on position but there's no power to the radio in those positions. I tried a little while ago and moved the key some but still nothing.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the accessory power, and run power from the switch use the same fuse and line to the radio so if the radio works on the run position then the radio, wiring and fuse is good.

When I get home I'll look at the wiring diagram for the switch. Do you know if you have a GEM or SJB? (Is the interior fuse panel on the passenger's side kick panel or on the drivers side of the dash?)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The same fuse is used in accessory or run. If fuse 6 is good in the SJB/GEM, which it must be if the radio works at all, then the most likely culprit is the ignition switch, or a splice somewhere.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
The fuse panel is on the passenger side. I was thinking it was probably the switch but I was just guessing. It does have the keyless entry and I got 2 new keys and 1 fob but I don't think it worked before I had them programed.
Thanks for the assistance.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You have a smart junction box and not a GEM module then. Wiring will be the same as my truck so let me look and see which wire(s) to test to see if it's a switch issue or a SJB issue... like adsm said, I'm betting on the switch. But no point replacing it without testing first.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Ok, I will need pictures or diagrams because I'm not smart enough to figure it out with just a description.
Thanks Again

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Was it something I said? I was joking about pictures. I took the panel off under the steering wheel and took the switch out but it didn't look bad, no corrosion it actually looked pretty new. When I was doing that I put the key in the ignition and had the door open. The chime didn't work all the time, is I moved the key it would work but didn't stay on. I didn't take the time to take the covers off the steering column but it might be a loose contact. Does that mean the keyed switch is possibly bad??

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Well I replaced the ignition switch and it didn't correct the problem. No power to radio with the key in the acc. position. Is there a another switch connected to the keyed switch? Can I replace the keyed switch and keep the same keys, don't want to have a different key for doors and ignition. I have noticed that if I move the key around with the door open the chime will work intermittently.
@Dirtman, I assume you gave up on me because you were going to check to see what wires could be loose or shorted out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
A quick update, I was on a different post and asked RonD some questions and after a couple of test he said to try moving the actuator rod by taking the keyed ignition out and using a screw driver. When I was attempting to get the pin in to pull the switch out I noticed that the key was able to turn back toward the acc. position?? I'm not sure if the switch was not installed correctly or what but it now has power to the radio in acc. position. Thanks for the help from the people that posted on this post.

Crosscut_Drifter

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Since my Ranger isn't a daily driver I noticed yesterday the same problem as I was waiting for my wife in the parking lot.

I have the owners manual and "accessory" (2) should be one click up from the bottom (1), to take the key out. I have no radio power
unless I got to turning on the dash lights (4) and full start (5)

Not terribly important, but one of those things I didn't check test driving.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals