• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition module question

svtbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have an 85 b2 with some sort of factory electronic ignition. not sure what it is. i'm putting a 93' 302 in it and the wire connector from the v6 distributor fits in the ignition module from the 302. can i just leave it like that? will it work? or do i have to get msd or somthing?

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do yourself a Favor - Get the Schematics.

Not meaning to sound assinine -- but you need to have both the donor and recipient wiring diagrams. Lay them out side-by-side. Study - compare and contrast the ignition wiring for both vehicles, and you'll probably answer your own question.
There are just too many year/model options for a conversion to arbitrarily say yes, or no, it will, or won't work. Unless someone is lurking that just happens to have done a '93 5.0L swap (outa' whatever), into an '85 B2 2.9L(?)
To effectively do a swap you really need both wiring diagrams. It makes life soooo much less stressed. My first inclination is to tell you that it probably won't work, but without the wiring diagrams - I could be wrong. At the same time, MSD (or any other aftermarket ignition) is not a must.
Here is one place where many go to purchase OEM wiring diagrams.
www.helminc.com

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
does your ignition module look like a box with a heat sink on it or is it te kind inside the distributor?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A 93 distributor will be a TFI unit. The 85's would have been a Duraspark system. With the 93 you need the computer's input to advance and retard the timing.

svtbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the ignition module from both the v8 and the v6 is the little grey module that bolts to the side of the distributor. and the part number for both of the modules are the same...

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The harness and module may be the same but you still will need to convert all the wiring over to run the V8 computer. I'm assuming you have a 2.9L V6? You might be able to use that distributor pig tail with that engine but you need to make sure the wires are going to the right place from there. It would be nice if a 302 was plug and play but really it isn't. To make sure it is wired correctly you will have to get a book for the bronco and the donor vehicle to create a harness for your BII.

Matt

svtbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it was a 2.8l v6. very interesting. well what are my other options for my ignition? what seems to b working well for oter people?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I used a points type distributor fitted with an electronic conversion module (Pertronix I, then went to their "II" unit, then finally to a Crane XR-1) They've all worked great. I also swapped the cam gear on it to a steel unit for the roller cam. This is fired with a Mallory Promaster coil wired to the same ignition hot source the old 2.9 coil used. These all were a simple two wire hookup between the coil and distributor.

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have an entire Duraspark II system off of a 302 from an '83 E-150 if it will help. Can send pics if you want to see.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
A ford duraspark II is a pretty cheap and easy ignition to wire up. All you need is a s duraspark distributor and ignition box and some wiring. I used one at one point in time but I stepped up to an MSD due to the need of a rev limiter.

Matt

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
A ford duraspark II is a pretty cheap and easy ignition to wire up. All you need is a duraspark distributor and ignition box and some wiring (the associated wiring and connectors. -Wade) . -Matt.
I've got it all. Send me a PM, if interested. Can take pics.

svtbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got it all. Send me a PM, if interested. Can take pics.
yep definitly interested, if you can send pics, thatd be cool

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals