• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Ignition key changed. Starts but turning the key back(off) will not shut off?

smj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have not been here for awhile. I have owned 4 Rangers, various years. All 4cyls. This is a new issue. I changed the ignition key lock. It started. But when i turned it back it to shut it off, it would not shut off. I ended up putting it in reverse and letting the clutch up. Not a thing to keep doing. Wonder if anyone has heard of this or seen it. Note...I have seen a video about an 'ignition switch' up under the steering wheel. Wondering if this might be something to check out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the ignition switch is under the steering column

What you changed is the ignition lock cylinder, no wiring there, well 1 wire for the "key in lock" dinger, lol

Simplified drawing here of the way it works: https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_berretta_1.jpg

The key cylinder will only turn if correct key is in it
When key turns, a gear on the back, the selector, turns and pulls(or pushes) the actuator rack(rod) that runs down the inside of the steering column

Ignition switch has a Post on it that the actuator rod is attached to, as the key is turned the ignition switch is moved into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

Turning the key to RUN or START also unlocks the steering wheel, also shown in drawing

Yes, pull out the ignition switch and then grab the end of actuator rod and rotate the key to see if something is loose

Close up of the gear setup on back of key cylinder: https://static-resources.imageservice.cloud/3794807/key-spins-in-cylinder-wont-start-ford-truck-enthusiasts-forums.gif
Either one of those gears can strip and would need to be replaced

Picture of ignition switch here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KK2uO_xaDKA/maxresdefault.jpg
You can see the post that the actuator rod moves to turn on and off systems in the vehicle

In the movies or TV shows when "they" reach under the dash they are grabbing the ignition switch and pulling it out, so they just need to slide that post to start the engine
Problem is locking steering wheel, lol, but its the movies, so I guess those cars are special

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals