• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Ignition Control Module

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
When I took the ICM off my '90 Ranger it had a very gooey adhesive on the back side. What is this and what is it for? Both mounting surfaces have been cleaned so...do I need to put something back on there before I put it back on the engine?(it's still good). I can't find anyone locally that can answer my questions, hope someone here can. Thanx a bunch in advance for any and all help on this. (Charlie) Loonasea

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's thermal transfer paste, if you can find a computer shop that has paste to use on heat sinks for processors that's the same stuff. Not sure what else it would be used on...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup it's heat sink paste but also keeps the back of the module from getting water under it, the old aluminum ones had a lovely habit of corroding on the bottom. I'm pretty sure you can use regular silicone or lithium grease (not petroleum grease) if you can't find heat sink paste but like Scott said, computer/electronic stores usually have it. Sometimes it's called CPU grease by computer nerds.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
It's thermal transfer paste, if you can find a computer shop that has paste to use on heat sinks for processors that's the same stuff. Not sure what else it would be used on...
Thanx Scott, I appreciate it. Off to the store right now!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yup it's heat sink paste but also keeps the back of the module from getting water under it, the old aluminum ones had a lovely habit of corroding on the bottom. I'm pretty sure you can use regular silicone or lithium grease (not petroleum grease) if you can't find heat sink paste but like Scott said, computer/electronic stores usually have it. Sometimes it's called CPU grease by computer nerds.
Thanx for your reply Dirtman, I appreciate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals