• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition, alternator, wiring

greenstranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im swapping an 84 5.0 into a 89 xlt ranger if posted this before but i havent understood the answers fully. i need everything how to wire all the electric engine components (not sensors) like the ignition starter voltage regulator and the alternator an indepth picture or explanaion would be great bc im horrible at this wiring stuff even though everyone says its easy i have the original ignition and an msd ill use w.e. is easier thanks please help!

ecablarn

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
302 V8, Mild Frame off Restoration still have bodywork
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Leveling 2" Lift
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
My credo
BSME, design, drawing
When i was doing my v8/aod swap last summer I tried to retain as much from the old truck wiring and parts. Used original oil pressure sender and coolant sender (for the 2.9/manual). I used original wiring for efi fuel pump and inertia switch, just a bit of splicing for aod and fuel relay ground wire. I didn't check to see if the inertia switch is working properly yet based on my rewiring the aod backup/neutral safety switch. But the backup lights work correctly. I haven't bypassed the clutch three position switch yet either, just zip tied it up for now to get the engine to start. I used original fuel pump in tank and had to use a Mallory Ignition 4309 - Mallory Fuel Pressure Regulators with the existing fuel lines and special 3/8 npt to nylon fuel line connectors (found on ebay for gm lines) which I think summit has. I used one wire proform hei distributor, but have not got a new tach hooked up in the cab. I tapped into the original ignition wire to power the distributor coil too. Been alot of work, but fun too. Just notes as to what I did, hopefully somewhat helpful.
As for the alt. mine had 2 harness plugs originally so I just use a 90 f150 alt that fit my 5.0 mounting bracket and just plugged in to my original 2 plug harness (internal regulator).

Starter used the original set-up as well 2 wire hookup + battery and small signal wire. I used a truck 5.0 starter for the aod/v8. Expensive gear reduced starter, that sucked.

I would suggest getting a service manual for your truck and looking at the wiring schematics and carefully tring to figure out each piece of the wiring puzzle. ONE thing at a time. Kinda how I did it along with reading the tech articles. Harwood proformance sells a manual that is also very helpful for the things you are looking for. $25 though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals