• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

If i buy a d28 lift will it work with a d35 swap

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just trying to figure things out

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Suspension lifts are not made specific to the axle, they will work with both a D28 & D35.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok cool means I dont have to waist money buying two lifts

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Duff vs skyjacker 6 in lift? Both are 2.5k what's the better of the 2?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Link to lifts?
That sounds high for a TTB. I'm thinking you're looking at a SLA lift.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah, they include brand new springs and all the rest. The price makes much more sense now. I don't have experience with either company so can't give an opinion.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Duff vs skyjacker 6 in lift? Both are 2.5k what's the better of the 2?
Both are really good TTB lifts. I personally like the Skyjacker brackets & springs but prefer the Duffs extended radius arms.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Both are really good TTB lifts. I personally like the Skyjacker brackets & springs but prefer the Duffs extended radius arms.
The duff kit looks more complete to me I wonder how they both do off road. The duff radius arms are definitely more low profile

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Having installed both, I can say that the Duff lift is MUCH better quality than Skyjacker, and their customer service is also very good. The only negative I'd put on Duff is their dual shock upper mount - it's kinda hard to get positioned just right.

Ride quality is also better on the Duff end. The shocks they sent were excellent, and the kit came with Deaver springs.

Since they're about the same cost, no way would I recommend Skyjacker over Duff. SJ lifts just have no redeeming features. They are better than Rough Country, Tough Country, BDS and the other cheap lifts... but that's about all I will say.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you that's what I was looking for.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Having also installed both myself, my overall opinion actually is quite similar for either one.
Both are top-shelf kits (top-shelf as you can get anyway), though neither are without issues and there are other differences between them that will vary my recommendation depending whether you are DD'ing this thing or if it's a 2nd vehicle generally only used for play...

Skyjacker uses linear rate coil springs (good for crawling, trail running), James Duff uses variable-rate (good for higher-speed use).
Skyjacker uses urethane radius arm bushings (good for longevity, noise), Duff uses rod ends (good for very-highly modified setups).
Skyjacker's Nitro shocks are kindof middle-of-the-road... Not bad, but not awesome. Their M95 shock option sounds much more promising for good ride & handling. I've no personal experience with Duff's "30/70" shocks, however I've seen many reports in the past they are very stiff and jarring, especially in a dual configuration, not sure if that's changed (me, I'd throw a set of Fox 2.0s on it, screw that throw-away crap).

BOTH kits' axle & frame brackets are near indestructible.

Issues:
The Duff radius arms have a weak spot right where the angled upper part of the box area meets the lower square area around the tube (I've seen a few broken or cracked there). There is also what I feel is an insufficiently supported spot at the top-front area on their coil buckets where I can foresee a crack developing over time (I'll admit I have not yet come across any reports of it though). A couple gussets welded to these spots would easily prevent any carnage happening.

Skyjacker didn't get it right on their coil spring lengths, so you have to use a spacer under the coil to get the full stated lift height. I have yet to see a broken Skyjacker radius arm (one not having the bolts left loose at the axle anyway), though I have seen the transmission crossmember break the weld at the end of the tube (again, gussets are key).

BOTH kits include an improper drop pitman arm that does not fully correct the steering linkage angle. Skyjacker at least offers a drop arm you can buy separately that can fully correct for a 4" lift (pt# FA600, which they do not include it in their kit box for whatever reason). At 6" lift, the handling literally can be downright scary with the drop arm they normally provide you.
I strongly suggest installing the Skyjacker #FA600 drop arm regardless of which kit you decide on (that, or a K-link setup, either a modified Superlift Superrunner, or build your own. There should be a good bit of info floating around here for both).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Having also installed both myself, my overall opinion actually is quite similar for either one.
Both are top-shelf kits (top-shelf as you can get anyway), though neither are without issues and there are other differences between them that will vary my recommendation depending whether you are DD'ing this thing or if it's a 2nd vehicle generally only used for play...

Skyjacker uses linear rate coil springs (good for crawling, trail running), James Duff uses variable-rate (good for higher-speed use).
Skyjacker uses urethane radius arm bushings (good for longevity, noise), Duff uses rod ends (good for very-highly modified setups).
Skyjacker's Nitro shocks are kindof middle-of-the-road... Not bad, but not awesome. Their M95 shock option sounds much more promising for good ride & handling. I've no personal experience with Duff's "30/70" shocks, however I've seen many reports in the past they are very stiff and jarring, especially in a dual configuration, not sure if that's changed (me, I'd throw a set of Fox 2.0s on it, screw that throw-away crap).

BOTH kits' axle & frame brackets are near indestructible.

Issues:
The Duff radius arms have a weak spot right where the angled upper part of the box area meets the lower square area around the tube (I've seen a few broken or cracked there). There is also what I feel is an insufficiently supported spot at the top-front area on their coil buckets where I can foresee a crack developing over time (I'll admit I have not yet come across any reports of it though). A couple gussets welded to these spots would easily prevent any carnage happening.

Skyjacker didn't get it right on their coil spring lengths, so you have to use a spacer under the coil to get the full stated lift height. I have yet to see a broken Skyjacker radius arm (one not having the bolts left loose at the axle anyway), though I have seen the transmission crossmember break the weld at the end of the tube (again, gussets are key).

BOTH kits include an improper drop pitman arm that does not fully correct the steering linkage angle. Skyjacker at least offers a drop arm you can buy separately that can fully correct for a 4" lift (pt# FA600, which they do not include it in their kit box for whatever reason). At 6" lift, the handling literally can be downright scary with the drop arm they normally provide you.
I strongly suggest installing the Skyjacker #FA600 drop arm regardless of which kit you decide on (that, or a K-link setup, either a modified Superlift Superrunner, or build your own. There should be a good bit of info floating around here for both).
Wow. Awesome comparison. Thank you.

I installed the Skyjacker kit and I like it. But I have no experience with Duff. The comments above sound reasonable to me, especially if the part about the pitman arm.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm planning on doing the superrunner steering kit. Does the skyjacker kit come with brake lines?

Last edited by a moderator:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't believe so (it didn't 10 years ago when I last dealt with installing one). An oversight for sure.

There are some articles in the Tech Library for adapting Chevy (?) brake hoses I recall, though the ones Skyjacker sells are infact good quality.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals