• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idling issue - Any Advice?

Rian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Hi Everyone!
So glad to find this site. Recently purchased a 1988 Ranger with 84k original miles on it. A problem which has gotten worse in the last few weeks is the idling. When I am driving and come to a stop, it just wont stay idling. But it drives fine. I ordered an MAP sensor. Am I on the right track?!
Any input or help is much appreciated. Great site here! Love the ranger!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Test the IAC valve (Idle air control). They can fail, or become clogged up. Pull it off and see how much crud is inside it, clean it out, and test that the plunger opens and closes fully. If not replace it, only use a MOTORCRAFT valve!

Last edited:

Rian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Dirtman! to the rescue! Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice. I'm heading out to check on the IAC this afternoon in the cold. This is such a cool truck. I'll circle back and let you know how it works out.

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
I’m new to the TRS so hesitate posting but read a ton. I would “pull codes”. Really easy and might give you a little more direction to what the problem is. It can be done with a paperclip and a test light or Volt Ohm meter.
There are many videos that teach how. Here is one:

I’m not sure about 88 but my 86 does NOT have a dash light so I have to use a test light.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Its a fuel injected engine so will use an IAC(idle air control) Valve to set RPMs at idle
Engine Computer(PCM) controls the IAC Valve
On cold start idle should be high, 1,000 RPMs or so, the colder the temp the higher the idle
After a few minutes of warm up idle should be down to about 750rpms, manual trans can be 650rpms

If your 1988 is not getting the high idle at cold start then could be IAC Valve OR ECT sensor
ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor is a TWO wire 5volt sensor only used by the PCM

The dash board temp gauge uses a 12volt ONE wire SENDER, so not the same and no connection between the two except they both change with coolant temp

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals