• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idles rough after 10min and P0174 & P0171

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, im having trouble trying to figure out whats wrong with my truck. It is a 99 ranger with a 4.0. I have had the codes P0171 & P0174 now for awhile and it does this weird idle like its flooding after about 10-20min, I have had to reless fuel pressure a couple times when it was hot out so it would start. The parts i have replaced are full intake gaskets 3 times, fan clutch, 4 sets of plugs, 2 coil packs, plug wires, 3 injectors, IAC, MAF, 2 new keys programmed, 2 sets of o2 sensors, deleted 4x4 vacuum ball cause I have manual hubs. Some of the parts I replaced due to being old or failed, but within the past 3 years. I need some help on what could be the problem and what to look for, i usually don't ask for help cause have the time and can figure it out myself. Im trying to get my other truck finished so I can fix this one cosmetically and upgrade stuff, so this is my Daily currently, so many help will be greatly appreciated

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I should also add that my engine has after some research is no egr low emissions, so ill have to hook up my scanner again and see if I can anything obvious or out ofvthe ordinary. I have a snap on solus edge, so its has live data and hook up my fuel pressure guage again, any help is much appreciated, ive been fighting this for over a year, and its would come and go with one code and then 2 and now they come back within 15min of clearing them

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Check to see if your evap purge valve is stuck open letting fuel vapors into the manifold all the time. Replaced your gas cap in case it is faulty and not allowing the tank to vent causing a vacuum thus vapor locking the engine. Obviously vacuum leaks are notorious for lean codes. See what your fuel pressure is and check your fuel trims on the scanner to make sure they coincide with the codes.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I should also add that my engine has after some research is no egr low emissions, so ill have to hook up my scanner again and see if I can anything obvious or out ofvthe ordinary. I have a snap on solus edge, so its has live data and hook up my fuel pressure guage again, any help is much appreciated, ive been fighting this for over a year, and its would come and go with one code and then 2 and now they come back within 15min of clearing them
Don't be surprised if you can't get live data to work. You have a OBDII model so maybe it would work but that was the problem with the early Fords, their efi system was not very friendly as far as giving out data on the sensors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals