• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle question & near stall

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello, had a question on the idle speed on my 99 Ranger supercab. It idles around 1,000 RPM when warm and in park, and around 750 when in drive and stopped. Is this the proper speed? my 2000 runs about 900 in park and it also runs around 750 when in drive stopped. Does my 99 idle a bit too high? Also, went to move the 99 the other day, started it, and put it into 1 to pull it up the driveway, and it sputtered and tried to stall, so i put it back in park and let it warm up a little, then it ran and moved fine. My 2000 has never done this, and i tried it that morning to see if it did, and it didnt. So, answers?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try cleaning the IAC. It controls idle.

Those idle speeds sound fine. There may be a slight vacuum leak making it idle at 1000, check the PCV tubing/elbows for cracks.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked it out, its all good. Guess replaced pcv and hose less than 500 miles ago. Guess i'll deal with it as I found it is, in fact, 950, not 1000. But what about the stalling when cold and dropped into gear. That used to happen on my carbed vehicles, but never on the truck.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 94 will try to stall on me if i try to take off right after i first start it up, but i believe its because it is still in 'choke' mode, adding extra fuel to warm it up and when i give it gas and let out the clutch it wants to bog/ stall on me from over fueling. if it does stall i have to hold the pedal to the floor to shut off the injectors and then it will fire back up and run fine once i let it finish its warm up ritual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals