• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle problem

C.Fuller305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 ford ranger 4.0 v6 4x4. For some reason my truck will sometimes idle at 2200, 1000, or 650 rpm there is nothing that is done different that will cause the weird idle. I have replaced the fuel and air filter, Injectors, cpu, Idle air control valve, Throttle position sensor, and I adjusted everything so that it would idle at 650 rpm. I made sure everything was tight and torqued down but my idle wont stay consistent. I have had a shop rewire my mass airflow sensor and I checked the voltage and ohms going from the cpu to the mass air flow, and found no problem. My 02 sensors have been replaced and are operating properly. I really need to get this fixed because it is eating up my gas and with these prices stuffs not cheap. Any suggestions will be tried

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You didn't mention the throttle plate and where it intersects with the throttle body. I have not had this problem with modern cars but I have seen it often with older carburator cars where the throttle plate has worn out the holes in the carb where it pivots. As a result the plate gets hung up and causes intermittent sticking. My problem with modern throttle bodies is that you are not supposed to pivot the plate unless it is electronically disconnected as it throws the computer off. I don't fully understand modern throttle bodies but I have seen and heard of worn pivots which caused this exact problem you are describing with your car.

C.Fuller305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You didn't mention the throttle plate and where it intersects with the throttle body. I have not had this problem with modern cars but I have seen it often with older carburator cars where the throttle plate has worn out the holes in the carb where it pivots. As a result the plate gets hung up and causes intermittent sticking. My problem with modern throttle bodies is that you are not supposed to pivot the plate unless it is electronically disconnected as it throws the computer off. I don't fully understand modern throttle bodies but I have seen and heard of worn pivots which caused this exact problem you are describing with your car.
I have not thought of that ill check it tomorrow and see if thats the problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals