• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle Issues!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick overview of what im working with!
2000 ford ranger 4.0 W/ 5 speed. New clutch, fuel pump, Bored .30 over (no i didn't punch out the original block, its a kit), New alternator, plugs/wires, 160 degree thermostat, Cold air intake, Dumped Flowmaster 40. yada yada YAHH right....
ANYWAY:

Truck runs superb, but lets say im cruzin in any given gear and throw it in neutral for any given reason... The idle will stay up at 2k rpms, and sometimes higher with the A/C on. Unless i kick it at a light it will drop Instantly. Or if i wait long enough it will slowly come down by itself. Throttle body is not sticking i already checked it. Im thinking Vacuum leak at this point? Thoughts guys :/

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For a few reasons, one the truck just runs better and colder which is always nice. Two in vegas it gets pretty hot so its just easier on the engine. Best 8 dollars i ever spent

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For a few reasons, one the truck just runs better and colder which is always nice. Two in vegas it gets pretty hot so its just easier on the engine. Best 8 dollars i ever spent
All that being said, the truck was not designed to run at 160. That might be your issue. I think i would install an oem stat at least while DXing this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I understand, and honestly thought maybe its tricking the engine into flipping the choke on being electric and all since the original is a 191 degree. I tried running a stock Thermo and it did not solve this idle issue...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand, and honestly thought maybe its tricking the engine into flipping the choke on being electric and all since the original is a 191 degree. I tried running a stock Thermo and it did not solve this idle issue...
I also would put the stock air intake back on while DXing. My .02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im not totally expelling that idea, heck ill even give it a try. BUT, i have never heard of or seen a fuel injected vehicle behave differently due to cold air intake mod...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im not totally expelling that idea, heck ill even give it a try. BUT, i have never heard of or seen a fuel injected vehicle behave differently due to cold air intake mod...
If the MAF is not set properly it will. If the MAF has oil from a filter on it that will mess it up, etc. DXing over the internet is tough enough without dealing with MODS.

The 160F stat will battle the 14.7:1 ratio you are trying to attain. IMHO.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals