• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ideas for some new wheels/tires

SharkyMark

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75 r 16
Hi,

My 2011 comes stock with 16 X 7" wheels, after the factory tires wore off I purchased some 265/70R16 Toyo A/T Open Country's which lasted me 65,000KM!
Recently the truck got a 3 in body lift, 2 in rear axle spacer and a good torsion bar crank in the front end so I have some room for new rubber.
Here is where my life gets confusing, because of the stock wheel size I am somewhat limited when it comes to tire size. Here is question # 1 :
Do most folks upgrade to a 16 X 8" rim to open up the larger tire sizes? (I see ProComp has a set of 16X8 for 500+tax.)

The factory rims are spent anyways, I tried to wire wheel the finish off at one point which made them really fugly so new wheels would be ok with me...
The other challenge comes when they talk about offset in mm and such.

My end game is fitting 33X12.5 (or 10.5) R16 on the beast, what did you do to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There is some good reading in the Tech Library to help you understand backspacing and offset.

What gear ratio does your truck have? Even though you now have clearance for 33 inch tires... your truck may not perform well with them. Check your door sticker for the axle code and the code will tell you what you have for gears if you don't already know.

That said... I put a set of ProComp 69 series 16x8 with a 4 inch backspace on my truck with 265/75/16 (really a 32x10.50). My truck has 4.10 gears and I think the performance is acceptable. Going to 33 inch tires might be a bit tall for a 4.10 gear for my liking. But the 16x8 4inch backspace gave my truck a 3 inch wider stance over the factory 16x7 4.5 inch backspace.

GUMPS_L.jpg

Something else to consider is the weight of your wheel and tire combo. My combo came out to 70lbs. each corner. Some of those ProComp wheels can get a bit heavy and the 33 inch tires are pretty heavy themselves. If you aren't careful you will end up with a combo that weighs close to 90ibs. That extra weight is pretty hard on suspension parts and axles.

Last edited:

SharkyMark

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75 r 16
Axle code is 96.
Seems like the 2011 4x4 super cab was equipped with open 8.8 axle, 3.73 gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals