• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAC unplugged?

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have done searches but couldn't find a direct answer to my question, if i unplug the IAC plug with the engine running, what should happen? The reason I ask is my 93 4.0 idles roughly and at about 550-650 RPM's. I think this is too low but I cannot adjust it...or I know I shouldn't. I warmed up my engine today to operating temp, unplugged the 2 wire connector and nothing changed, I plugged it back in, no change. Anyone else done this with an IAC they know is good? I have checked it according to the manual and it checks out ok, I have cleaned it also but can still see some carbon inside the body and on the plunger. Thanks for any feedback.

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your IAC is working correctly, your idle should drop (perhaps to the point of stalling) when you unplug the electrical connector.

darkchicken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can only offer 5.0L experience, but I'm pretty sure it's the same setup on the 4.0L. Clean, clean, clean. That and make sure everything else is tuned up. You probably won't hear a drop in RPM by unplugging the IAC. For the 5.0's, there is an aftermarket plate that allows you to adjust the RPM, I'll look to see if it fits 4.0L too. You may also be able to tweak it with timing and/or TPS.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar situation except with a high idle. Mine likes to settle at 1700 sometimes dropping to normal but its getting more rare every day. When I unplug the IACV nothing changes except cold start changes. Ideas?

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found this on rangerpowersports.com I'm a member but dont post anything there; I really dont like the way their forum and tech stuff is set up. But this may be able to help you, maybe not, I haven't tried it. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/?p=44. TRS all the way we got a good thing going here.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have always noticed a decrease in idle when unpulgging it. there should be 'some' change

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your idle should drop when you unplug your IAC solenoid. 86ltrain, it sounds like your IAC is stuck in the closed position. if you have an analog voltmeter or a 5v test light you can confirm if the IAC is receiving a signal from the computer...but chances are good the IAC is bad.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. Couple Q's.

What value should the IAC be recieving at idle? Does it fluctuate?

Somewhat related, whats a good price for my motor, trans, T-case set with 120K on it. I'm getting close to getting into a 302 buildup.

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have checked the input voltage and it looked fine. I tested the IAC with an Ohmeter and it checked out ok, but I don't think that is 100% foolproof. I have checked many times by unplugging it and every time there is no change. My truck does high idle as it should when cold though, doesn't the IAC control that? Thanks...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals