• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I992 Ranger 2.3 So Hot & big loss of power

Blackhatchic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone I am so stressed out I need help with this before I lose my job. 92 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3. It started acting like it was going to die when idling and had a pretty strong exhaust smell coming up in the truck if the doors were open, also when I would turn it off the passenger side floor board would get so hot it would nearly kill you if you had to sit in the truck. I used cataclean, it did not work. Clean the mass airflow sensor which was pretty dirty and I change the air filter. Are used two bottles of expensive fuel system cleaner, not at one time. plugs and wires and ignition coil are only about five months old. I flush the radiator and heater core and took all my fuses and relays and I don't see anything unhooked under the hood. So, my neighbors friend told me he would knock out the catalytic converter because it was stopped up that had to be it, especially because of the heat in the floorboard. He got under there with a hammer and a drill , did whatever he did under there and I asked where is the stuff that came out of it and he said it will come out as you drive it. Well as soon as I Started it I knew it was a mistake. It now sounded like a tractor and before I got home I could smell heat. And I don't know how to explain it just heat maybe metal. So today I had to drive 15 miles to work and back and about halfway home sounding like a tractor, loud!! When I went to back up to leave the store parking lot it felt like the brakes were on but of course they were not. Within a mile down the road, there was a significant power loss, and I mean significant it would not go over 25 mph so when I got to the top of this little hill I'll let it coast down to my driveway and it would barely coast. I got home and turned it off, The lid to my power steering reservoir was raised up a little bit and power steering fluid waThe lid to my power steering reservoir was raised up a little bit and power steering fluid had ran down the side, Not much at all but where it was on the metal it was smoking burning it off. I can't get back up and the exhaust is blowing hard from like under the passenger side door or in that area near the catalytic converter. He put a wire around the heat shield to keep it from making noise I guess. I don't know what he did but the catalytic converter has never been this hot not hot enough to stop the truck. What can I do about this? I must get to work and back and it's just me by myself So I have to do this myself and putting it in the shop is not an option. Please someone help me. I have no idea what or how to do this and that Man of course is nowhere to be found

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I would guess that the cat is still clogged up, but that's just a guess.

Did the check engine light come on, or has it ever came on? If not, that would make me wonder if the bulb is actually good or installed at all.. I'd start with trying to pull codes from the truck. See what it tells you.

Blackhatchic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
well engine light come on twice, period. I'm guessing there's a short in it Because it doesn't even come home when you come to Kim but it did come on one time the day before this ironically when I turned the key over. So it does work not like it should. I was just under the impression that when you knocked out a Cadillac converter that everything inside Bella long brown maybe I was wrong. But that's what I thought. Would it be in Claude Bennett reason for it to be pushing the exhaust out from under the passenger side door now since he did that?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You're gonna have to start proof reading your posts before anyone can help you.