• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I6 swapped b2

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think the 2.9 makes a decent small truck engine. Why do you think they put 3.73 gears in it? Let it wind out, it will get a loaded truck moving. I ruined the rear leaf springs in my 2.9 ranger from hauling full loads of green firewood in it. And it had the longbed on it. You won't use 5th gear very much when loaded, leave it in 4th and let it eat.

The 2.8 I have now is pretty weak. But if I really dog it, it will go half-decent. If it doesn't complain about me using all it has each time I drive it, then I think we can get along and get the job done.

And I agree about the book. Not much info in there that I saw besides standard engine rebuilding techniques. Go out and buy "How to rebuild your small block Ford" and you will get 3/4 of the info in the cologne book.
Ive got 3.45s behind my 2.9 and never have hurt for power.

I think people expect the 2.9 to perform like a V8 sometimes. Compare it to a 2.3, 2.8, or whatever junk GM was using during that time period, and youll see the 2.9 quickly becomes a shining star.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Yeah I don't know what people think gears are for. My tractor has maybe 30hp. Put it in low range 1st gear and it will pull whatever.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ive got 3.45s behind my 2.9 and never have hurt for power.

I think people expect the 2.9 to perform like a V8 sometimes. Compare it to a 2.3, 2.8, or whatever junk GM was using during that time period, and youll see the 2.9 quickly becomes a shining star.

yup. that is factual with two thumbs up and a snap in a circle.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah I don't know what people think gears are for. My tractor has maybe 30hp. Put it in low range 1st gear and it will pull whatever.
My 10hp farmall cub dragged my 4000lb 77LTD II out of the garage with 3 locked brakes.

Gearing and traction does alot

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We will see how the 2.8L carb. in a B2 does for towing. I am about to upgrade both axles (Dana 28/7.5) to 5.13 - 5.14 gears. Locker in the front. maybe welded in the rear. Plan on running p235/75r15 and not going more then 55 mph about 3200 rpms.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
We will see how the 2.8L carb. in a B2 does for towing. I am about to upgrade both axles (Dana 28/7.5) to 5.13 - 5.14 gears. Locker in the front. maybe welded in the rear. Plan on running p235/75r15 and not going more then 55 mph about 3200 rpms.
Do you have a source for your axle upgrades? I looked the other day and didn't see hardly anything for the Dana 28 and very little for the 7.5. Unless you can find someone with some leftovers on the shelf in inventory. More selection for the Dana 35 and the Ford 8.8.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
wut 🧐

Towing in general with a B2 sounds like a pile of fun but with a welded rear axle?

No idea where you're gonna find 5:13s for your axles either, I thought 4.56 was the lowest ratio available for the D28 and those were hard to find years ago, plus the pinion gets godawful tiny...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
wut 🧐

Towing in general with a B2 sounds like a pile of fun but with a welded rear axle?

No idea where you're gonna find 5:13s for your axles either, I thought 4.56 was the lowest ratio available for the D28 and those were hard to find years ago, plus the pinion gets godawful tiny...
The B2 will tow, but its short narrow wheelbase is far from ideal, the slightest cross wind will have you all over the road, hell a crosswind with just the B2 will have you all over the road especially if you've still got 30+ year old steering and suspension LOL. The engine/transmission can do it, that's not the problem, the problem is the Bronco 2's size, or lack of....I think max trailer capacity was 3500lbs and I'd say that's pretty far fetched in the real world....maybe on a good day on perfectly flat ground with no other vehicles around to cut you off, etc.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
When my bronco had 205 tires I could smoke the. All day. I was even getting around 25-30 mph. But now I have 31 inch tires and a rear locker. I am lucky to get 15🤣🤣🤣

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> No idea where you're gonna find 5:13s for your axles either,

Well, did you know the Ford Escape uses a rear Dana 28 and the 5.13 R&P fits the IFS 28? Wish I had known about the carrier break ...

I bought my 5.13 R&P from Barnett Performance at http://www.b1320.com Sales person Nick was a huge help and I am going back for my rear axle R&P too.

Still a toss up between the 7.5 and 8.8. With the 8.8 I get a spool, less expensive for 5.13 gears, but, I have to change the yoke or drive shaft. With the 7.5 I weld the gears and get to use everything I now have.

I tow a lot, I believe the spool or welded rear end will be more predictable when shifting gears using the manual transmission then with a lunch box locker.

Greentitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
So I'm looking at getting rid of the 2.8 currently in my truck. I looked at the 2.9 and a few others but with the associated problems of the 2.9 and Cali's laws, I think I've settled on the AMC 258 out of a cj7. Is there anyone here that has done something similar in a b2 or a ranger?
Not an answer but I'm gonna be attempting an m52 swap from a BMW. So we both will be doing I6 swapps

Greentitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Remember the context is what Will is referring to.

If an inline is really what you want...

I would look at the Jeep 4.o or a supra engine. The BMW offerings are good but the Toyotas are bad ass...there are quite a few inline 6 that are modern that will be nice. The Jeep stuff fits better then the full-size ford stuff. Easier to fit trans and t case

The Ford 300 with a speedway style intake/exhaust, a fi tech and matched cam will fit and be a monster. With a turbo it would be wild.

Then there is the easy button.

The 4.0 is to the 2.9 what the 351 is to the 302. A waste of time or a dream come true depending on your specific needs.

In a stock truck doing mostly car stuff... say commuting, the 2.9.... especially paired with a manual trans is really good.

like the 351....the 4.0 just uses more gas for required commuter performance.

If your generally loaded with 800 or more pounds or haul shit regular....have a lifted truck with 33 or larger tires, the 4.0....again especially paired with a manual trans, is by a a sizeable margin the best engine outside of the 2.3 Ecoboost....

Two things about the rbv....evicting a Dana 35 or a 4.0 that works well from an rbv for a stockish 302 and Dana 44 is a waste of time if your not going all out. This means 37 or larger tires and 300 or more HP...in which the d44 is upgradeable a d like the 302....easily so. But money.

And for effort and time over performance...a downgrade.

With a 2wd.....a supra seems the easy power of you can find it cost effectively. Big engines though.
Since I plan on putting an I6 in my 89 ranger I've been looking at the 2j or some others from Toyota but for cost I have found a running and in good shape BMW m52 n/a out of a E36. I do know I'm sacrificing a little reliability.

Brian Rhoades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why do you want an i6? I happen to like the 2.8l provided you remove the computer, duraspark it and run a regular 2150 carb. It will run and run and run. Old reliable and cheap to fix if anything ever does go wrong. There are negatives though. It lacks power big time and fuel economy is pretty sad too especially if your lifted with 5.13 gears(8.8 and dana35 swapped) and 35's. It does the job offroad on the trails though.

Anyways you might consider an early 90's 4.0l swap. Pretty easy to do, more torque, power and similar mpg. Or consider a HO 5.0L swap. Not as easy but not very hard either. Again more power, torque, and similar mpg.

I honestly don't think an I6 is worth the trouble.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian Rhoades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh also, I would not ever bother with regearing a D28. Way to weak. 5.13's??? :confused:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Oh also, I would not ever bother with regearing a D28. Way to weak. 5.13's??? :confused:
I just put new front axle u-joints on my 84 BII. Those axle u-joints are tiny little things aren't they?

I just finished up the ugly ttb balljoint replacement. Done 3 of them now on different trucks and none of them were very much fun.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals