• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I was scammed

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Well well....after a couple decades of safely buying stuff on the interwebs I finally got scammed. I was looking to purchase a kinetic recovery rope that was not of Chinese origin. Not that there is anythhing wrong with that but I wanted to keep this purchase on this continent. After some window shopping I chose a small US company called SGT KNOTS which is veteran owned and located in Statesville, NC Their prices were competitive but they don't ship to Canada so I did some hunting and found a site that sold SGT KNOTS products that was located in Orlando that had free shipping. Great I thougtht. Pulled the trigger and waited for an email notification. Nothing but I figured it was the weekend so I'll wait til today and still nothing. I looked at my credit card activity and the $120 came out right away......then one hour later $158 came out. Uh Oh spaghetti O. Phoned up my bank and both companies are from China. S@^T Sticks I said to myself. Bank said first charge will stand as it was a legit transaction but if nothing arrives within 30 days they will refund the money. The second charge was fraud because it came from a location within China. Anyway...here is the website of the scammer theroperetail.com As you can see it looks quite legit until you look up the physical address and it is a 900 sq ft house in Orlando and the phone # is a 955 prefix which does not exist in North America. I did check it with Scamadvisor and they said it was too new to really say but they did say this....Online shopping features were detected....We found a valid SSL certificate.....DNSFilter labels this site as safe......Checked for Malware and Phishing by Flashstart. Anyways folks....sorry for the novel but damm that site looked legit....live and learn. Greets and cheers from Saskatchewan.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Yep, its super sketch these days. Sometimes when I google cordless makita stuff there will pop all these random sites selling them for stupid cheap. I bit once and got bit. I cant believe these sites show up first on a regular old google search. I got straight jacked via paypal. Luckily no more than that one transaction.

After lesson learned I dodged a bullet shopping for moto parts. The site seemed suspect, so I did some research... and sure enough, it was a scam.

It would cost a lot more and teach much less getting a college education about this, as opposed to just getting scammed, Although the student loan debt after may just be a different kind of scam lesson. Either way I think you gained some good wisdom for the loss cost. Sometimes a push is a win.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Yep, its super sketch these days. Sometimes when I google cordless makita stuff there will pop all these random sites selling them for stupid cheap. I bit once and got bit. I cant believe these sites show up first on a regular old google search. I got straight jacked via paypal. Luckily no more than that one transaction.

After lesson learned I dodged a bullet shopping for moto parts. The site seemed suspect, so I did some research... and sure enough, it was a scam.

It would cost a lot more and teach much less getting a college education about this, as opposed to just getting scammed, Although the student loan debt after may just be a different kind of scam lesson. Either way I think you gained some good wisdom for the loss cost. Sometimes a push is a win.
The worst part is Bank cancelled the card and I won't get another one for 2 weeks. They still use dog sled to deliver mail here. I was all pumped to go qnd try that kinetic recovery rope. I even bought a hitch reciever d-ring and convinced a volunteer to send it into frozen celery sticks. Have to wait 2 weeks to buy another one. Should have stayed on Amazon....

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
There's a brick mortar 4wheelparts store here. Its nice to physically shop options.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
There's a brick mortar 4wheelparts store here. Its nice to physically shop options.
3 hours away and twice the price for the same product but yeah....you can go there and see/smell it. You have a good point.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
3 hours away and twice the price for the same product but yeah....you can go there and see/smell it. You have a good point.
Lol not that bad but yea...and sometimes worth it. Plus its fun to boner out on all the displays. I like poking and sniffing the 40" mudders and giant coilovers hanging off the wall.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Lol not that bad but yea...and sometimes worth it. Plus its fun to boner out on all the displays. I like poking and sniffing the 40" mudders and giant coilovers hanging off the wall.
I love the smell of new MT Tires in the morning.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> I chose a small US company called SGT KNOTS

Did you check with SGT KNOTS to see if that company was an authorized distributor?

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Probably should have checked them a little better,
The "About Us" page is a concern for "The Rope Retail"
Our Story
We’re a women’s fashion and lifestyle brand with a modern laidback sense of style, an easy-going attitude and a positive outlook on life. SGT KNOTS Sales Shop was founded in 2003 by , an Aussie so traumatised by her first experience of a northern hemisphere winter that she started designing her own wardrobe for those long cosy nights escaping the British weather. From one woman and a laptop, SGT KNOTS Sales Shop has grown rapidly over the past 17 years into a brand that truly reflects our antipodean roots.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lol not that bad but yea...and sometimes worth it. Plus its fun to boner out on all the displays.
Sometimes I use Dick's Sporting goods as an Amazon Showroom. lol.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I haven’t ever bought a kinetic tope so I don’t know prices. But Matt’s Off Road Recovery sells the ropes they use on their show. I know they’re made in the US, in Idaho I think.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
> I chose a small US company called SGT KNOTS

Did you check with SGT KNOTS to see if that company was an authorized distributor?
I did...after lol. I was talking to a lovely lady with a North Carolina accent...."There at it agin?"....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals