• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want to write....

dvsj67

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys

So I have been browsing this forum for quite some time now.. only recently did I become and active poster. However what i notice.. Actually what i notice with this whole industry is the background knowledge of the simple theories and principles of how certain systems work.

I hear a lot of guys talk about how they can do this and that with a vehicle but cant actually tell you how it works.

So my question to you guys is what kind of theory articles would you like to see posted - I note that engine theory and fluid power theory seems to be a strong one that people know less about but i want to hear from you!

:icon_cheers:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. Give us an example of what you are saying. Look at a post you have read and put the link here and we can go from there. Hope to help you out!!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
:icon_confused: I guess I'm a little confused too. What exactly are you getting at? :icon_confused:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My own downfall is basic diagnostics and lack of knowledge of electrical systems. Similar to computer systems, I can tear it apart and put it back together again, but when it comes to the software part, like writing a letter in whatever program it is that does that, I don't know how. if I can't see it and touch it, it can't exist:icon_idea:. Well, I'm learning. I've bought a few books and I'm getting better, but not having someone physically present to show you how to do something slows the learning process way down. I end up second guessing my diagnosis, and/or forgetting important steps. If I don't know, I don't link the info into clear thought. I own Haynes + ford books but they are written with an assumption of knowledge that in specific aspects I am lacking, mainly because I'm self-taught. The previous books mentioned are on vehicle electrical theory and the tools used, so I'm slowly getting the knowledge, I just need to practice on the practical application. Anyway, my suggestion would be efi diagnostics, the hierarchy of input devices ie; what does the computer look at first.
Good luck,

Richard

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My first thought is charging systems.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......he wants to bring some Class to the site!

:yahoo:

dvsj67

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yeah! Charging systems is a good one, because to understand a charging system you need to understand basic electrical theory..

I also note ALOT of lack of information on fluid systems (Hydraulics) .. I just believe that without knowing the principles and basic theories behind something, you cant identify a source of the problem.

PhantomOfTheBumpside

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merc, Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of like how people will raise, lower, shorten and stretch vehicles without the slightest inkling of how these things affect Ackermann geometry and why this matters...

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was a very good example [will] the AC 101 shined a lot of light for me.

I have read side material to help but the fuel injection system is where there is a lot of this and that but don't understand how it works.

It would be nice to have a rough chart for every inch you raise the vehicle you loose a certain amount of side hill ability without going wider.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah! Charging systems is a good one, because to understand a charging system you need to understand basic electrical theory..

I also note ALOT of lack of information on fluid systems (Hydraulics) .. I just believe that without knowing the principles and basic theories behind something, you cant identify a source of the problem.
Do charging systems. I'll work with you on formatting your article. PM me when you have a draft.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Kind of like how people will raise, lower, shorten and stretch vehicles without the slightest inkling of how these things affect Ackermann geometry and why this matters...
Actually you procede from the monumentally mistaken idea that Rangers actually have "ackerman steering".

ALL the steering and suspension parts on Beam trucks are IDENTICAL on everything from the Bronco2 to the Ranger supercab (within model year
and 2wd or 4x4)

They do not have "ackerman steering", what they have is "close enough" steering.

"ackerman" can approach the "perfect", However perfect is the enemy
of "good enough".

On SLA Rangers I'm reasonably sure that correct Ackerman geometry is
possible on ONE of the wheelbase configurations, but for what should be obvious reasons, not all. Which one? I have no Idea. Not sure I entirely
care either.

To have accomplished that Ford would have required different steering
arms on the steering knuckles for each wheelbase

So "messing with the steering geometry" in a way that defies proper
Ackerman geometry is a discussion that should be held with FORD's
Engineers at the original design level if at all.

As someone who actually has a 2001 supercab frame that I'm back
half-ing to create a 7'bed Supercab I'm reasonably sure that I
personally don't care all that much.

The problem with deeper engineering knowledge is that most people don't
have actual use for that deeper knowledge, or they simply don't have the necissary background knowledge to understand it.

And in the space of an average forum post or even a "Tech article" there
really isn't room for an engineering course on each subject leading up to the specific information needed to make people really understand.

You & I both know E=I/R, but actually teaching anyone enough so that they "really get it", can apply it to their situation and use it to diagnose
their problem is both unlikely and wishful thinking

I've seen enough pairs of eyes glaze over from disinterest/failure to comprehend/or simple brain overload (complete with smoke out their ears)
to last me a lifetime.

The only reason I keep explaining things to people is for the less frequent cases where someone "really gets it", and does so sufficiently to explain it to someone else well enough so that third party can solve their problem.

AD

dvsj67

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Do charging systems. I'll work with you on formatting your article. PM me when you have a draft.

Sounds like a solid start! Maybe i can work on something for HVAC for coming into the spring and summer months as well.

:icon_bounceblue:

PhantomOfTheBumpside

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merc, Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually you procede from the blah blah blah blah "ackerman steering".

ALL the blah blah blah Bronco2 to the Ranger supercab (blah blah blah 2wd or 4x4)

Blah Blah blah "ackerman steering", blah blah blah "close enough" steering.

"ackerman" blah blah "perfect", Blah perfect blah blah blah "good enough".

You & I both know E=I/R, but actually teaching anyone enough so that they "really get it", can apply it to their situation and use it to diagnose
their problem is both unlikely and wishful thinking

Blah blah blah blah glazed donut blah blah blah blah .......

The only reason I keep explaining things to people is for the less frequent cases where someone "really gets it", and does so sufficiently to explain it to someone else well enough so that third party can solve their problem.

AD

Let me meditate on that for a second....

OHM...............
OHM...............
OHM...............

:dunno:

Eh... I got nothin', but I'm vaguely hungry.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ALL the steering and suspension parts on Beam trucks are IDENTICAL on everything from the Bronco2 to the Ranger supercab (within model year
and 2wd or 4x4)

They do not have "ackerman steering", what they have is "close enough" steering.
AD
Is this true for full size as well? I've been looking for a correct [close] wheel base donor for a bunch of different projects. I may be closer than I knew.
Thanks,

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals