• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want to put a supercharger on my 97 Ranger 2.3

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
I want to put a supercharger on my 1997 ranger with a 2.3L engine in it. It a great truck, but i wish the power was there more. I'm debating on whether or not to drop in a small v8. maybe a 289 or 302. If its cheaper i would rather just put on a supercharger. I'm pretty sure it would be less work. So far i have only found 3 so called supercharger kits and they can only get up to 30 horse power. http://www.fordrangersupercharger.com/ . I would like to add more horsepower. does anyone else know of a good kit for my engine? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, the Turbonator has been pretty much trashed by most everyone on here over the past few years...so I'd avoid that if possible...

There was a poster from BC that modified a 3.8 litre supercharger onto his 2.3 and last I heard it was working...think his name was Robert, but I can't remember the user name...

try searching the forums for supercharger...last time I saw a post from him was maybe a year ago...

Edit: Did the search for you because I was curious as to what happened to Robert...appears he was trying to sell the truck...didn't follow that up, but here is the link Supertruck Page http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello

Edit II: And his user name on here was Anapaum

Last edited:

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
when i click the link it says that the page is not found. I looked up his name. it seems like the guy had alot of trouble with it. I found a super charger for a jeep that looks like with a few custom brackets would fit on a ranger. the only problem seems like tuning. it is a Vortech V-3 SCi-Trim Supercharger. I seen in installe done one of the 4 door jeep wranglers.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/video/?ep_num=XT2010-19&ep_show=XT

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys. for some reason the link that mark posted i still cant go to the page, but when i look at teh build thread i can click his link. thanks. looks like something to look in to.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've read and seen, you can only do so much with the 2.3. If you choose to add a charger of whatever ilk, be prepared to spend $$$ to beef up the bottom end. The stock parts aren't really built to handle any sort of power bump. You'd probably need new rods, stronger pistons and crank, as well as altering the compression ratio. In the long run, probably better looking into the V8 option, in my opinion anyway.

Rustywall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Turbonator

Well, the Turbonator has been pretty much trashed by most everyone on here over the past few years...so I'd avoid that if possible...

yeah i put the turbonator in my 87 camaro 5.7 in the air cleaner and it honestly was 50 dollars wasted on a piece of steel that got thrown in the back of my ranger with a few undred more pound of scrap metal. I WOULD NOT reccomend anybody getting it. I recently blew a head gasket in my 2.3 and am considering going with the turbo 2.3 out of the thunderbird. That just seems way more logical than being cheap and buying useless knicknacks

87 camaro 5.7 turbo350 3.73posi
93 ranger 2.3 5 speed stock

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
From what I've read and seen, you can only do so much with the 2.3. If you choose to add a charger of whatever ilk, be prepared to spend $$$ to beef up the bottom end. The stock parts aren't really built to handle any sort of power bump. You'd probably need new rods, stronger pistons and crank, as well as altering the compression ratio. In the long run, probably better looking into the V8 option, in my opinion anyway.
The bottom ends on these motors are really really solid. The stock crank and rods (assuming they are forged, don't remember what year they changed them to cast) Are good for somewhere in the neighborhood of 400hp. Pistons will need to be changed to run any kind of boost at all. As well as either running electronics from a turbocoupe/merkur/mustang turbo, or a stand alone engine management system on OBD1 vehicles, or a good program for an OBD2 vehicle (jess from turborangerforums.com can help with that) .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals