• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i want to be able to tow a couple atvs...

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok im looking to replace my truck and what i want out of a new one is to be able to tow 2 4wheelers, i dontknow much about towing yet but i figured a ranger should be up to the task. would i need the 4.0 or would the 3.0 be fine? also will i be asking for trouble if i go with a 2wd, i was just worried about getting stuck with a trailor. thanks

spittinfire

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
What size atvs are you pulling? The 3.0 will pull them, the 4.0 will pull them better.
4wd vs 2wd would be preference and nothing else. Having a 4wd is nice sometimes though but if you don't want to spend the money the 2wd will work fine. As far as getting stuck.....that just depends where you go. If you get into a lot of places where you really think you'll need 4wd then I'd go for it.

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, that helps, i pretty much figred 4.0 would tow better, im not even really sure why i had to ask that. i was only thinking the 4wd because i figured the trailor might hold me back if im trying to pull out of a slushy driveway or some similar situation.

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
3.0 will do it just fine. I towed a car a few miles before with just a tow strap and I had no issues. I didnt even really feel the load going from a stop at times. Mines also a manual 4x4.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a few mid sized ATVs on a flatbed trailer wont top 1500lbs or so. you could tow that with a 2.3 powered 4x4 if you wanted....much less a 3.0 or 4.0. either will work just fine.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
my 93 3.0 pulled my wheeler and dirbike on a trailer like it was nothing, even with 2 manifold leaks (replacing them soon). I was really surprised, but i do want to get a reciever hitch instead of towing off my bumper

OhShietitzMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2wd usually have a higher towing capacity than a 4x4 because there is less weight . . . it could varry about 2000lbs towing capacity diff. better for the 2wd . . . but both trucks have plenty of power to tow atvs in 2wd or 4x4 models . . . good luck either way

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
No way is the 2WD rated to tow 2,000 pounds more than a 4WD. I also find it BS. They should be rated the same. Truth be known a 4WD will drag a 2WD around all day long, but it's the weight they consider.

There is not more than 300# difference between a 2WD and 4WD.

Now Automatics and Manuals are a whole nother story.

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
automatic is rated to tow more than the manual

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
automatic is rated to tow more than the manual
Because Ford does not want to replace a bunch of burnt out clutches from people who don't know how to drive a stick and try towing with it.

michowski

Reaction score
Because Ford does not want to replace a bunch of burnt out clutches from people who don't know how to drive a stick and try towing with it.
+1 to that. Id prefer a manual because its easier to keep the motor in its powerband vs an auto trans.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
couple nights ago we had a real bad snow storm here at my college, had to move all the resident students cars into one parking lot (to plow the others) that was up ontop of a hill, my little 3.0 towed 3 cars 1 minivan and 1 fellow 2wd ranger up there in 4wd with 35-40%ish tread bfg land terrains and with no weight in the bed. and last night, my friend got his silverado stuck in the snow and who pulled him out? this guy, he wasnt happy to get pulled out by a little ol ford:icon_thumby:

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i went with the 4.0, all the 4.0 in the market were around the same price as the 3.0 so why not go bigger, now i just need to get a trailer:icon_twisted:

972wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys

i tow one kawi brute force with my 97 2wd 2.3 5 speed on a 4x8 "homade light weight" trailer...........no probs on the back roads while going slow..but the highways with big hills suck..........i do get stuck alot, in the snow and muddy fields!!:buttkick:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals