• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I tried to buy a Ranger today. And I failed.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
This is a rant.

So, no secret that I've been looking for a newer Ranger to drive in the winter. Got approved to buy the one in Portland that I posted to the forum, but logistics simply are not working out in my favor.

So, I found this today:

Called them, confirmed the details, filled out a credit application, and got approved.

Drove the 2.5 hours to Ohio to pick up my new 2004.

Got to the dealership, and looked over the interior. Automatic transmission. Not manual as their website states.

Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

So, now I'm f***ing p*ssed.

2.5 hours out there, and another 2.5 hours back for me and my business partner on New Year's Eve.

300 miles round trip at the F350's 13 mpg, and $20.70 in tolls.

Oh, and because I was planning on taking it home, a hard inquiry on my credit score.

So, to all you current and former Ford employees, who do I complain to to have my credit report amended? @adsm08 @19Walt93 @deathbypsi (only naming you because IIRC you are all current/former Ford employees)

I know that I wont be able to get any sort of recourse on my fuel, time (yes, it was a work day for us today), or tolls.

However, this is absolutely unacceptable to me. Not only did their website say that it was a manual, but the sales rep confirmed that it was a manual via phone and email as well.

Now I'm strutting around with a negative mark on my credit score from a truck I NEVER would have applied for credit to purchase if they would have been honest about it.

Oh, and in case the website changes:

WestLakeFordFalseAd.png

At this point, I'm so frustrated with trying to find a Ranger that has a manual trans that I'm considering buying a new Tacoma or Frontier because they both come in manual. Gladiator does as well, but it does not come in two door or hard top, so it's immediately out of the running. Plus, $40k for a base model? Yeah, nah broh, FCA can keep it.

In all sincerity, my recent experience with the TorqShift in my SD and now several Pittsburgh dealer's unwillingness to update the flash on the PCM/TCM, and West Lake's "oh, sorry, but we dgaf" attitude about this 2004 is REALLY pushing me away from the Blue Oval.

Sorta at a loss here, gents.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive seen that many times, and with pictures that clearly show a automatic when the ad says manual (sometimes in two separate places in the ad) Not only can most not drive a standard anymore, they cant even identify one

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I doubt Ford can do anything about the hit from the credit check, maybe if it was being processed through Ford Credit, but even that is iffy. The dealership likely processed it through their own finance department and tried their own local lenders first since it is a used vehicle.

Probably your best bet with that is to challenged the record on your credit history with the reporting bureau. I'm not sure if "I filled out an app for a vehicle loan and then found out the dealer lied about the equipment" is going to constitute enough fraud for them to strike it, but you can try.

As far as hits on your credit score/history, it would probably be better for you to go to your own bank and get a pre-approval for an amount about $2000 more than you want to spend so you have wiggle room. Then you will have a single inquiry that will have you approved for almost anything and be good for a few months.

You can also PM me or Sno any VINs you are interested in, we can get accurate build sheets and equipment lists through Ford's system. Or at least we can tell you what Ford built it with. I could have saved you that entire trip and told you it had an auto despite what the dealer listing claimed.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not only can most not drive a standard anymore, they cant even identify one
One of these days I want to take my truck down to Aamco and tell them when I put it in drive and let the clutch out it just stalls.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You probably dodged a bullet with that truck anyway. I looked through it's warranty history just because and it has a history of rotting out the rear doors. It was sent to the body shop multiple times while still under bumper to bumper warranty for the rear doors bubbling the paint from the inside out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's frustrating. I'm convinced that dealers just do not care anymore... a warm body will walk in and buy their junk sooner or later so they have no incentive to put effort into doing their job.

May have to expand your search area a lot wider and really nag them for details... my buddy has bought two pickups that he had to fly across the country for, and he was on the phone with them constantly confirming details before the plane tickets were bought and the loan paperwork was done.

My dad has a newer Frontier with a 6 speed manual... I think it's a '14, '15 maybe? Nice truck, I hate the manual part though and I like driving manuals. It feels like there's not enough space between the first couple gears and reverse is hard to find. I'd like to drive a comparable Tacoma with a manual to see if I like it better.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd like to drive a comparable Tacoma with a manual to see if I like it better.
My grandfather has a 15 Tacoma with a 3.7 auto, SCREW. Roughly the same curb weight, size, and aerodynamic suckyness as my Ranger with a 4.0 stick.

The Taco feels woefully underpowered compared to my truck. Gas mileage isn't any better either.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Not a good comparison but his Frontier will blow my Explorer out of the water in terms of power... I hauled a load of crap back from Denver on my little utility trailer, couldn't even tell it was behind his truck. I hooked onto it with the Explorer when I got to their house and pulled it another 50 miles to my place. Huge difference but I'm not shocked, considering the ~25 year difference.

I think I'd be a lot happier driving it if there was one less gear and if they were spaced out a little further... maybe I am just used to my M5ODs but it almost feels like you can skip 1st gear most of the time. It's just a hair too low. I think that's why my dad burned through a clutch in 30k, starting off in 2nd gear all the time and riding the clutch.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bummer about the Oregon truck, that was a nice truck.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
However, this is absolutely unacceptable to me. Not only did their website say that it was a manual, but the sales rep confirmed that it was a manual via phone and email as well.

Now I'm strutting around with a negative mark on my credit score from a truck I NEVER would have applied for credit to purchase if they would have been honest about it.

Oh, and in case the website changes:

View attachment 35160

At this point, I'm so frustrated with trying to find a Ranger that has a manual trans that I'm considering buying a new Tacoma or Frontier because they both come in manual. Gladiator does as well, but it does not come in two door or hard top, so it's immediately out of the running. Plus, $40k for a base model? Yeah, nah broh, FCA can keep it.

In all sincerity, my recent experience with the TorqShift in my SD and now several Pittsburgh dealer's unwillingness to update the flash on the PCM/TCM, and West Lake's "oh, sorry, but we dgaf" attitude about this 2004 is REALLY pushing me away from the Blue Oval.

Sorta at a loss here, gents.

The reason he told you it was manual is because he sat there on his but looking at the same page you were looking at, instead of getting up off his lazy ass and walking out there to properly confirm it

You would likely win that in any respectable court but the price you would pay in anxieties and scorn would cost you more than winning it could ever be worth.

Sorry you had such a time there man

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Honestly, at this point, I'm willing to pay a cash bounty to whomever finds me one.

**** it. Cash bounty for whomever finds me the following:

FX4 or Level II
Manual transmission
Less than 100k mi, lower the better.
NO RUST
Seriously, NO RUST
Dark Grey preferred, but not too picky.
Prefer manual transfer case if possible.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Never trust a salesman unless they are a personal friend. Period.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When can I expect my reward?

Not an FX4 but not to worry, you can subtract the cost of stickers from my reward.

Attachments

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Oh, within 200 miles of Pittsburgh.

Level II is preferred.

Newer the better as well.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals