• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think i want to restore rusty 2.0...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I guess i need to fire up youtube

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, they make different tools to make a flange to glue to, the cheaper tool is basically a set of vice grips with a special jaw welded in. Or they have a tool for on an air chisel. Pretty sure there are other options these days. Never glued a panel yet but might give it a go. There’s a big auto body repair supplier in town that I can get the glue at.

Paint related, you don’t absolutely need a spray booth, but even a temporary wood and plastic structure (@gwaii did it that way) would help with keeping bugs and dirt off the wet paint. Solid colors are the easiest. Use a HVLP gun. I helped a buddy do the bottom of a boat a few years back with a Harbor Freight gravity feed HVLP and it turned out alright. Little bit of a learning curve, but it works. Single stage solid color is the easiest, prep, prime, spray, done. Two stage solid and you have an extra wet sand and clear coat at the end. Metallic gets tricky, have to make sure it stays well mixed and be careful with spraying.

Prep is absolutely critical. Sand scratches WILL show through. All repairs need to be sanded as perfectly smooth as you can manage. Make sure you remove all dust. Don’t do the bodywork and sanding in the same space you’re painting unless it’s outside.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> clean rust free ranger cabs can be had for around 300 bucks.

If you get a title to go with it, I would go that route. My experience has been once you get rust bad enough to eat floors or cab corners, you basically can never get rid of it or it ends up a patched up mess. You get the floor done, then you find the cowl rotted out on the firewall under the wipers, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals