• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I caught the fever...

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Mountaineer fever that is. I bought a ragged out '99 2WD back in December for the drivetrain. I planned to drive it on weekends for a while to make sure it was up to snuff. New shocks, front sway bar end links, door latch bushings, and a driver's door panel later, I like it better than my loaded 2011 Escape. The Mercury has become my primary vehicle for the last six months. But it still has crappy paint, all the rubber is dried up and brittle and the sunroof leaks.
So I picked up a '98 AWD today. The interior is nearly pristine, paint is all good except two spots of cancer. (It apparently came from NJ.) Everything works except the rear window wiper. Only 141K miles. The original window sticker is in the glove box. It is loaded, towing package, all the creature comforts in the center console in working condition.
I thinks someone on here told me before that the transfer case can be replaced with 4WD that can be switched on and off, but it requires cutting a hole in the center console for the shift lever. Does anyone have pics of where it would come out? I wonder if there is a way to hook up a cable where the lever goes so that it could be controlled kind of like an old choke knob. Sure would be nice to be able to go 2WD while on paved roads.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If yours is 2wd you’re gonna have to get another 4r70w that’s 4wd .... I personally used the
44-06/M a 2000 f1-50 in my 98 ranger (same idea) and I didn’t have to cut any holes in my console. You do however have to cut a hole in the floor For the shifter for the manual case.... as far as the electric case, I’m not sure.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I am driving an AWD now. The first one was 2WD.
So where in the floor does it come up?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just to the left of the console... you may have to bend the shifter cane a little bit away from the console, but it’s not that bad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals