• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I swore never again....

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
after we pull it apart, I’ll know which way I’m going. If I decide to stop, you guys
....and if you decide to sell, pm me. 👍🏿

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’m still new to the ranger station, so if this is not the right place, somebody please guide me.

have located an engine and they’re checking it out before I buy it. I have a couple people lined up for a cheap swap if it’s OK.

I have two questions:

One, does anyone have a PDF of the 1987, XLT, 4 x 4, 2.9 L V6, five speed? Short cabin short bed, but I’m just looking for the owners manual that would’ve come in the glove box.

Number two, is there a place that has the production numbers broken down by year and by the different XLT types and which ones had four by fours, and which ones were stick shift, etc.? My interest is first generation, but I’d be curious to see all.

Finally, the third of my two questions, it looks like everything I see in this forum are incredibly sharp trucks, which is great. Is there any section that deals with more daily driver beaters, or rat rods or such? Is that blasphemy? It’s OK, I’m going to hell for many other reasons…

Any help graciously appreciated

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
A v8 swap, no matter what brand, is doable. I just see it as a large clunky over powered engine in a small vehicle. And a gas hog. I have a herd of vehicles, and find myself always using the smallest one that will do the job. The smaller vehicles have the smaller engines and better fuel economy. A v8 swap may make a fun play toy, I am not against that. But I daily drive my vehicles, and I can see me tending not to use a small vehicle with a over sized engine in it very much for everyday use.
Plus they just seem more fun to drive. Same w/ two wheeled machines. I have so much more fun putzing around on a mini pit bike or a scooter than seriously riding a full on motocross bike or crotch rocket. And something about hauling a lot with a little is also satisfying. I'd love to score one of those mitsubishi mini trucks. Mini excavators are awesome.

Anyways I digress. My vote goes towards rebuild your 2.9 or swap in a 4.0 OHV, maybe hop it up a bit and fix most of the leaks, good to go.

If you wanna dump a little blood,sweat,tears... or just time and money, then go v8. Maybe one out of a v8 explorer could minimize fitment and wiring woes.

Congrats on the gifty, and thanks for giving her a second life.

PS being in desert SoCal, I resurrected my ac twice! The tech article(s) on this site helped a lot (especially the 2nd time lol).

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I’m still new to the ranger station, so if this is not the right place, somebody please guide me.

have located an engine and they’re checking it out before I buy it. I have a couple people lined up for a cheap swap if it’s OK.

I have two questions:

One, does anyone have a PDF of the 1987, XLT, 4 x 4, 2.9 L V6, five speed? Short cabin short bed, but I’m just looking for the owners manual that would’ve come in the glove box.

Number two, is there a place that has the production numbers broken down by year and by the different XLT types and which ones had four by fours, and which ones were stick shift, etc.? My interest is first generation, but I’d be curious to see all.

Finally, the third of my two questions, it looks like everything I see in this forum are incredibly sharp trucks, which is great. Is there any section that deals with more daily driver beaters, or rat rods or such? Is that blasphemy? It’s OK, I’m going to hell for many other reasons…

Any help graciously appreciated
I'm new too, and made friends and enemies already (sometimes the same guy!) and try to contribute as much as I can, for all the help I've gotten from these loveable jerks....

My answers may be helpful or jerky or just a waste of reading lol but heres what I got

1) No, but get a haynes and chilton manual, between the two (and forums) you should be able to find what you need. Also you may be able to find on one a CD on ebay (I've scored a few for other vehicles).

2) Yes, its your VIN code. here is a good VIN guide. Its like the dna coding or fingerprint, tells alot if you know how to read it, and seeing what else was offered, a good start to scratching that itch.

3)Yes, look harder, or switch up your search words. check out the mini truck section, theres some sick stuff. Also plenty of daily driver beaters around, including mine.

Heres a recent one

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-donkey-build-rebuild.183496/

I think its because these things are so easy to wrench on and tinker with/ customize as well. Its like ford engineers gave you a base platform to build up on, as opposed to something that doesnt give much room for engineering customization/improvements...

I love that I can actually tinker, upgrade, tear apart and mess around with the ranger, unlike my boring daily drivers ('08 f150,'11 fusion)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Thanks, Eddo. On The VIN, I’m looking for the opposite, not the details on mine, Br whether mine is one of a thousand or ten thousand or??? Hence, I’m looking for the annual production numbers (how many they built) by class or sub category. If anyone knows where I can find it.

& I have the Haynes manual, I’m looking for the owners manual without paying $50 on eBay...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Thanks, Eddo. On The VIN, I’m looking for the opposite, not the details on mine, Br whether mine is one of a thousand or ten thousand or??? Hence, I’m looking for the annual production numbers (how many they built) by class or sub category. If anyone knows where I can find it.

& I have the Haynes manual, I’m looking for the owners manual without paying $50 on eBay...
Oh gotcha, that would probably be in some kind of production numbers archive. Maybe some corporate dept that can be reached. Production numbers are quoted often so Im sure the info is collected somewhere out there

Unfortunately a $50 ebayer is probably the only option. Unless you get lucky at a junkyard glovebox or otherwise stumble across one. There may be a reproduction source we are not aware of.

Now I'm wondering what engine was produced the most, seems every ranger out here has the 3.SLOW.

Sorry for the crappy help lol good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you are looking for a Chilton, I would try to buy one of these.

This is a pretty small but thick book. It has no wiring diagrams and like most Chiltons, it assumes you are somewhat of a mechanic already and gives you lots of torque specs and highlights for taking stuff apart. What amazes me about this book, it has the full tear down and rebuild of all 5 different manual transmissions in it. Not much on the automatics or the transfer cases. Lots of info on carbs (which would not apply to you), and lots of info in engine teardowns. Doesn't have everything but is a nice complement to other manuals.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Base numbers are out there. Break out is hard to get. Çd had a version.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Moderators or ????, I have a couple questions:

An update, I’ve caught the Ranger fever. You’ll be convinced my brain is feverish as I reveal my master plan on what I’m going to do with my free 4wd Ranger.

my question today is where is the proper place in these forums for me to document my “Rick-storation” ? I’m going to do a very very budget fix up as if I had no money but some imagination, certainly minimal pride and integrity! Not a true rat rod, but “inexpensive” and “creative” repairs and upgrades, most likely not worthy of all you folks with the nice killer trucks. But it might inspire some young folks on what’s possible like when I was coming up a hundred years ago.

I’m also going to make a matching trailer out of a ranger bed I landed (maybe two). I know a lot of guys cut the frame in front of the cab, bend it inwards and add a coupler. I know it works, but it’s a lot of extra weight you just don’t need for the trailer. To me, it always looks half done, just like it was cut off. I’m going to do some custom frame and running gear, again, very cheap, but never anything dangerous. Used bed frames are always a good source of cheap steel!

I’m thinking I may do a red clone of Big Red, my 96 F250HD 4wd diesel extra cab long bed, which has code 3 lights, radio, etc. But I also know that if you paint your truck with a dead squirrel you find on the road to save on a brush or roller, it’s a good idea to do a two tone and some accents, so it draws the eye away from the body work finished with a camping axe. So maybe two tone black and red. It’ll be a “Rick-stoleum” paint job. When I’m done, it’s gotta be worth a couple thousand dollars cuz it’ll have over a thousand in bondo in it!

That’s a joke. The truck and extra bed are actually very straight and rust free. So it won’t have that much bondo value added value....

pics of the free Ranger, Big Red and my paint applicator below.

so where is the right place in the forum for me to document it for maximum criticism? I’m thinking I’ll put pictures here, and put some videos on YouTube and put the links here. Is that ok? Where & what is allowed?

& BTW, it’s ok to start busting my chops now, I’ve got a pretty thick head, er, I mean skin!

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I "restore" my vehicles while I drive them. I got my BII running pretty good, and slowly have worked most of the mechanical kinks out of it. But I am still driving it around with no paint on the hood and a large rust hole behind the driver's door. But that is the way I like to do it, keeps me interested in it and it serves a purpose and I am somewhat justified in spending some money on it if I am using it to get to work.

A lot of projects get started with a full teardown, paint and restore everything first. Lots of money and time, and for me I risk losing interest and get discouraged about in the middle of it.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Haha, good. I’d love to drive it around, but the 5-cyl engine just won’t crank, and the oil pours through on the ground when I try to fill it!

If you read the whole string, it was given to me on my birthday by a friend (I am not sure if he likes me or not!). I’ve got 4 other vehicles almost pristine, so this is purely a budget “bring it back to life” and “get my hands dirty” project. I’ve been collecting and trading for half a century, I’m not saying I won’t get distracted, but there was only one I scrapped midstream when it got crushed in the Dunwoody tornado.

I’m still curious where the right place to record the process is, which group.

I’m hoping to have the engine in and have it running in September, and do the rest by Christmas. I’ll work on the trailer while the truck gets the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals