• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i need some help with my mac

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
been useing my macbook with osx lepord on it. well tonight it just went to a blue screen and wouldnt do anything, i installed the recovery disk and im viewing the desktop. it says i cant use my itunes as it was created by a newer version:icon_confused: it wont let me upload my pics to iphoto , so far i still have all my music and pics but i just cant use any of them. i try to use them and it freezes and i have to force quit. what should i do?

stick all my music and pics on a external HD and wipe the thing clean?:annoyed:

JimJa1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'05
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've been a MAC guy for a very long time, but since MAC problems are almost non existent, your problem has me stumped. Guess I would try, in this order, downloading the newest version of iTunes. Don't download an older version as it will really screw up things - don't ask how I know this. Thankfully you've backup up your stuff - I didn't.

I assume there is an Apple store in Denver. You might ask one of their tech folks about it. MAC has a great repair service...pay to have it fixed, or give them $300 and they will fix whatever is wrong for no additional money. We did that when my son's GF put is MAC BOOK on the bed and the comforter covered the air ports and it overtemp'ed.

Here's some software to consider too:

http://www.emergingtechs.com/posts/top-10-mac-repair-tools/

Or you could try one of the on-line repair sites.

Just some suggestions in case you haven't considered them. Not much help for sure, but good luck.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
well i think i figured it out lol. i think my hard drive was full causeing it to shutdown. ive had a PC with windows do that to me b4. im backing up my stuff and reintalling everything.. if that wont fix it its going to the apple store. thanks for the help

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The best "backup" is always a "clone" of your hard drive on another harddrive

That way you have a complete functioning operating system.

You iTunes is balking at the "older version" because the version yoiur files were operating with was progressively updated.

I don't have a mac, I DO have iTunes I DO NOT let iTunes "organize"
(which I take to mean work over with their "organ")
because I've heard multiple similar stories about iTunes.

I keep my music as mp3.

AD

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The best "backup" is always a "clone" of your hard drive on another harddrive

That way you have a complete functioning operating system.

You iTunes is balking at the "older version" because the version yoiur files were operating with was progressively updated.

I don't have a mac, I DO have iTunes I DO NOT let iTunes "organize"
(which I take to mean work over with their "organ")
because I've heard multiple similar stories about iTunes.

I keep my music as mp3.

AD
well i saved my pics, some of my movies and all my music:yahoo: i wiped the comp clean and im harveing a hard time updateing it to were it was. its been downloading upgreads all day. this comp is running sloooooow....i also dont seem to have iphoto anymore:icon_confused: once i get it updated if its running like crap its going to have to go to the MAC people for fixing, idk how im going to afford it if i cant get it to run decently:annoyed:

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
well im slowly getting there on getting this thing running smoothly. i have now have NO imovie,iphoto,music software,or idvd. let me guess; i have to buy the ilife package to get these things back dont i?

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Your Hard Drive is starting to fail.... :bawling:

From your Original post it sounded like the OS was corrupted and the start-up process was hanging. You should have only needed to perform an Archive & Install to be back up and running. Then you would have to run Software Updates.

If you wiped the HD and reinstalled your OS (which it sounds like you did) you need to install the iLife Apps from Disk 2 of the two install disks that came with the MacBook. But since it's hanging/running slow during updates, I would expect the HD to be the cause.

Since you have a backup of your important files. Make an appointment for the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store for a HD replacement. If you have AppleCare it's covered, otherwise you may qualify for the MacBook quality program on HD's. Go see them soon.

Dave

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depending on what you used to recover your drive, you may not have iLife anymore.

If you used a retail OS X disc, you have only the OS.

If you used the restore discs that came with your Mac, you should also have an iLife disc.

After you get it going, get this free program

Super Duper

This is an awesome Mac cloning program and is totally free.

You can clone your HDD to a portable HDD and then boot from the external HDD if necessary.

Have you determined why your Mac crashed?

I suspect you may have a HDD failing.

Hate for you to get it going again only to experience another crash.

Also, might want to consider changing the default import method in iTunes to MP3. That way your music is not stored in a unique format.

Edit: Mac Guy beat me to the HDD diagnosis while I was typing!

Last edited:

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Your Hard Drive is starting to fail.... :bawling:

From your Original post it sounded like the OS was corrupted and the start-up process was hanging. You should have only needed to perform an Archive & Install to be back up and running. Then you would have to run Software Updates.

If you wiped the HD and reinstalled your OS (which it sounds like you did) you need to install the iLife Apps from Disk 2 of the two install disks that came with the MacBook. But since it's hanging/running slow during updates, I would expect the HD to be the cause.

Since you have a backup of your important files. Make an appointment for the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store for a HD replacement. If you have AppleCare it's covered, otherwise you may qualify for the MacBook quality program on HD's. Go see them soon.

Dave
i had the hard drive full. i think thats what cased it to crash. i got it running real good now but i still dont have any of the Ilife programs. i used the disk that came with the comp. when i put the 2nd disk in all i get is a bunch of texts telling me to install my operateing system and bundled programs. im going to keep trying.

the only thing i lost was all my pics. other wise my comp is running just it did when i got it:icon_thumby:

Depending on what you used to recover your drive, you may not have iLife anymore.

If you used a retail OS X disc, you have only the OS.

If you used the restore discs that came with your Mac, you should also have an iLife disc.

After you get it going, get this free program

Super Duper

This is an awesome Mac cloning program and is totally free.

You can clone your HDD to a portable HDD and then boot from the external HDD if necessary.

Have you determined why your Mac crashed?

I suspect you may have a HDD failing.

Hate for you to get it going again only to experience another crash.

Also, might want to consider changing the default import method in iTunes to MP3. That way your music is not stored in a unique format.

Edit: Mac Guy beat me to the HDD diagnosis while I was typing!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals