• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i need help fixing my 1988 ford ranger xlt 2.9L 6v

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
it just cranks but wont run :( i have to coils one makes it misfire and the other on make it just crank. cant any one help. starter is good, fuel pump is good alternator is bad. it has a new ignition control module in it and i have two coils and i hope their not both bad and i changed all the spark plugs in it too and bought a new coil, One time I put alot of starting fluid in the carb and I tried to start it and I seen a flame came out of the carb do you know what that means? have not got it running yet, bought a alternator but has not came in yet. i think the connection is ok, the plugs are not wet but smell like fuel,i have a almost half tank of fuel, i put mystery oil in it and fuel refresher, do i need to put more gas i think the gas has been sitting for 2 years.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGjqmDwoS48

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I watched your video. Your starting technique is all wrong for a fuel injected engine (virtually every car on the road today). Slow down.

Pause for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to Run.
When the dash lights come on, stop turning the key, wait.

Go back to Off. repeat. Let the fuel pressure build up.

I can't even tell if the Check Engine light is working properly because you rack that key and crank it so fast. The Check Engine light should be ON when the key gets to Run. It appears to me that yours only comes on when you are cranking the starter.

You should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds. You want that to happen. You NEED that to happen.

Your next video could be 1/10 as long. Jump in, turn key to Run. State what lights are on. State whether you can hear the fuel pump(s) running.

You won't hear any fuel pump if the check engine light isn't on.

You also won't get spark if that check engine light doesn't come on.

Clarify its behavior for me. It looks like your check engine light is ONLY ever on when you are cranking the actual starter. That's wrong.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
One time I put alot of starting fluid in the carb and I tried to start it and I seen a flame came out of the carb do you know what that means?
It means you need to go learn more about your vehicle since it doesn't have a carb.

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
I been try to fix the truck and I bought a ignition coil and and alternator for it and tried to do an OBD1 it's*On Board Diagnostic; The engine management computer can give up data concerning engine trouble. And it does not work so I was wondering if it's the computer? Thank you

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I assume this truck had a mass air flow somewhere? did the truck ever run with that air filter you have on there?

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check on your passenger side floor board and check behind the carpet there is a fuel relay switch if the small button on top is pushed out push it in check that and the map sensor i had the same problem after an hour of quite bumpy wheeling and a half rollover. but check that switch

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
I assume this truck had a mass air flow somewhere? did the truck ever run with that air filter you have on there?

i dont have a mass air flow sensor because i dont have air intake its just naked

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
with an EFI (electronic fuel injection) vehicle you need a mass air flow sensor . they are mounted in the air filter box assembly (where your air filter is normally located) . without a mass air flow sensor your engine will just crank . so you need to find a stock air box and filter with a mass air flow sensor . with an EFI vehicle you need to have all sensor's for the engine to run . if a sensor (depending on the sensor , being that each do different thing's) your fuel injection computer go's into a default mode and will not send the right fuel/air mixture into the engine

Last edited:

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
finally got a guy to fix my truck. he said the starter was bad so bought a new one and my wiring was bad so put my engine on 0" top dead center and wired the distributor, set the timing and now it starts up strong but now when i turn the key on run it rev's and when i turn the key to the on position it dies? so what do u think?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals