• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I may have just ruined brand new ball joint

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
I got 4 new ball joints for my 2002 ranger edge 4x4 w/torsion bar suspension and 2 tie rod outer ends. Never did a ball joint before, it was a battle but I got all parts installed and everything was looking good. Got my brand new grease gun loaded up and last task was to grease the joints then throw the wheels back on.

I started with the tie rod ends pumped grease, saw some coming out, done. Great.

Moved on to the lowers. I pumped a lot of grease in there. The boots blew up like balloons. Eventually a little bit of grease started coming out of the bottom of the right hand lower. I stopped. The left hand lower none came out, but the boot was really blown up and felt very firm. I decided to move on to the uppers.

I pumped and pumped into the left hand upper waiting to see some grease. All of a sudden the top part of the boot blew out and grease started streaming out :icon_surprised: .

These are all moog BJs. the top part of the boot is wrapped in metal wire that keeps it on the ball joint. About 1/2" of the boot along the top blew out. It doesn't look good.

What the hell happened? I thought there was supposed to be a relief and you pumped until the grease came out.

There was a painted line on both of the bottom joints. I oriented this inward towards the center of the truck. Was this correct?

What to do now. Should I remove the zerk fitting so some of the grease can come out of the lower ball joints the boots are round, not "ribbed" like a CV joint boot. Very worried I just wasted a lot of time and money in parts... please help!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't get too worried about it. "Too much grease" is not a condition that can acutally exists as far as I am concerned. At least not within the realm of physics that applies to our universe.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Well, if grease is in the boot, it is in the ball joint. I'd say you over greased if you blew the boots. Just try to salvage the boot and get it back in place to keep the water and dirt out. If you blew a hole in one, clean it up and silicone it.

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
Here's a pic.

How do I fix the boot? Looks like it is not meant to be replaced. Dremel off the wire and hose clamp?

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
Hmm didn't like imgur here is tinypic

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
So the metal wrap at the top of the BJ wasn't nearly as permanent as I though.

Some small needle nose pliers let me pull the wires down, push the boot up, then replace the wires.

After coming home from allignment shop (Firestone lifetime was on sale 149!) I noticed the lower boot had started to relieve some of the extra grease. Looks like ball joints on Ranger Rust will be ok :yahoo:

I bought this truck for 2500 with 150k on it. Had to do shackles/spring hangers in rear, and now I've done all BJs and outer tie rod ends.

Need to replace a rear door latch, change coolant, and investigate severe wind noise from passenger side, and replace timing chain tensioners as preventative maintenance and I'm good. Thanks for all the help people.

:beer:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Worrying is overrated. Any safety related items, repair immediately. Other, small, nagging irritants...repair as time and money allows. Before long, you have yourself a damn fine truck. Have fun wrenching.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals