• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I may have just bought my last Ford

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably not a common part to fail for them to worry about stocking either.
A diff housing is admittedly an odd part to need. Since 2006 I have seen one truck need a diff/axle housing for any reason, before this case.

But I have seen lots of other late model, current production vehicles that needed major power train components, mostly engines, and they were able to pull a unit from the production line for me.

However, none of that excuses such hubris in design philosophy.

Also, how of the nearly 1 million units sold, how much trouble would it really cause them to set aside one of everything, and then replenish that one as it is used? It wouldn't cause any at all.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford can't get me the rear axle. Customer service said they'll look into it and get back to me in a week. The dealer said they would have helped, if I used their body shop.
A diff housing is admittedly an odd part to need. Since 2006 I have seen one truck need a diff/axle housing for any reason, before this case.

But I have seen lots of other late model, current production vehicles that needed major power train components, mostly engines, and they were able to pull a unit from the production line for me.

However, none of that excuses such hubris in design philosophy.

Also, how of the nearly 1 million units sold, how much trouble would it really cause them to set aside one of everything, and then replenish that one as it is used? It wouldn't cause any at all.
Maybe they only pull parts off the line for dealers?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have a copy of a letter from Ford stating they can't pull from production. I can't resize it on my phone to post it here. It's in my picture album.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a copy of a letter from Ford stating they can't pull from production. I can't resize it on my phone to post it here. It's in my picture album.
Like adsm I have heard of it being done... but for warranty at a dealer.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The real issue is that Ford has been behind on the production of these trucks since about midway through 2014. New model year vehicles usually hit dealer lots around June or July of the previous calendar year. We didn't start seeing the 15 F-150s until 2nd quarter of 15.

They have been behind on production from day one, so they didn't put any spare parts aside at the beginning, they are cranking them out as fast as they can trying to catch up, and now they don't have the ability to pull something like an axle housing without leaving a truck sitting on the line mid-assembly, with no way to move it out of the way.

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Well they messed this up from the first P.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Like adsm I have heard of it being done... but for warranty at a dealer.
So have I, I even asked them too do it. Thats why they sent the letter saying they cant pull from production.
If this would have been a Lemon Law situation, they would have found a way by now.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I wonder if anybody is regretting the fact that they sent thousands of new vehicles to the crushers after Houston Texas flooded. I read somewhere that if they got wet they got crushed. Lots of unused parts were trashed. Tailgates, wheels , hoods, everything got crushed. Some of that could have been used in these situations

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Well they messed this up from the first P.
This is why the "Just in Time" supply system is such a horrible idea except to the accountants and share holders. It holds up everything when something breaks an you needs parts outside of the production line. Even the military is using it now because it looks so good on paper.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So have I, I even asked them too do it. Thats why they sent the letter saying they cant pull from production.
If this would have been a Lemon Law situation, they would have found a way by now.
Yeah, the monkey isn't on their back so it is no big deal to them.

I wonder if anybody is regretting the fact that they sent thousands of new vehicles to the crushers after Houston Texas flooded. I read somewhere that if they got wet they got crushed. Lots of unused parts were trashed. Tailgates, wheels , hoods, everything got crushed. Some of that could have been used in these situations
I would pass on the flooded and probably uncared for rear axle housing.

Sheetmetal sure. Powertrain not so much.

This is why the "Just in Time" supply system is such a horrible idea except to the accountants and share holders. It holds up everything when something breaks an you needs parts outside of the production line. Even the military is using it now because it looks so good on paper.
Oh it works beautifully. But if everything isn't just right there is a big kerfuffle... which is why you strive to have everything just right.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Probably wouldn't have been usable in this situation, for the same reason a low mileage axle from a wrecker can't - truck is leased.

Problem with floods - was it just wet? Or was the axle/hood/tailgate filled with mud from the rising water? Which is why they have to be crushed. :bawling:

Everyone blames the project manager for lack of planning, when: marketing was late with requirements, engineering was late with design, testing was late with evaluation, prototyping was late with 1st article, a re-design was added to address new/changed requirement/new design iteration/changes to assembly. :thefinger:

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So Ford agreed to pay for a rental for 30 days... I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.
They still have no ship date on the axle.

I have an appointment to see my lawyer on Monday.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
So Ford agreed to pay for a rental for 30 days... I'm going to pick that up tomorrow.
They still have no ship date on the axle.

I have an appointment to see my lawyer on Monday.
Hope everything goes well. At least you got a rental for a little while.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Probably wouldn't have been usable in this situation, for the same reason a low mileage axle from a wrecker can't - truck is leased.

Problem with floods - was it just wet? Or was the axle/hood/tailgate filled with mud from the rising water? Which is why they have to be crushed. :bawling:

Everyone blames the project manager for lack of planning, when: marketing was late with requirements, engineering was late with design, testing was late with evaluation, prototyping was late with 1st article, a re-design was added to address new/changed requirement/new design iteration/changes to assembly. :thefinger:
I read this article in Car&Driver magazine, don't remember all the details, I will re-read an post, but I believe some were just siting in 6-8 inches of water. " If it got wet, it got crushed" was what I remember reading. What does not get wet in the rain??? I'm sure some were salvageable, but the risk of bad one getting mixed in the good ones for $$$ was too much.

So a rear end that gets wet is no good? what about boat docks and mud bogs?
Those trucks were in dealer lots, not in some mud field sitting in silt.
If it was mine and I needed an axle, and the opportunity for an axle that needs a little clean up came, I'd take it. The Lease make it different.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I worked at a Ford dealer for 42 years,pulling parts off the assembly line hasn't happened for years.As part of a UAW contract the car companies are forbidden from doing anything that would interrupt production because it would put union members out of work.It used to be when a warranty vehicle got near the 30 days out of service limit that would qualify for lemon law,the Ford rep was my new best friend and I'd hear from him every day until it was fixed.In early 2017 I had to make a nuisance of myself to get a complete trans for an F150 with 42 miles because 1 part we needed to fix it was backordered and the complete unit was the next assembly that would include the part.Had the insurance company approved an assembly you'd have been driving it long ago,as long as they can get away with blaming someone else insurance companies are likely to let the customer hang.In NH it's law that vehicles 2 years old and newer be repaired with OEM parts,one insurance company insisted in 2012 that a 2010 was 3 years old-2010/2011/2012-until we fought them.The shop that stored it in a manner that caused mold to grow owes you some new interior parts,mold is a health hazard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals