• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have a 5.0 and harness from 1989 mustang

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
older rangers hard to find here with no rust, apparently 2005 rangers didn't have pats,better vehicle for swap?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
89 is OBD 1

05 is OBD 2

If you dont have emissions in your state you can make it work but you're instrument cluster probably won't be able to be used. I think 05 has ecu controlled gauges.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2004 and up Rangers have HEC instrument cluster which is "married" to the computer
2005 didn't have PATS but still has HEC so you have to swap out cluster and most cab wiring to use a different cluster and computer

And yes, 1989 Mustang would have a 60-wire EEC-IV computer
1995 and up Rangers used a 104-wire EEC-V computer

So wiring wise a 1994 or older Ranger(EEC-IV) would be an easier swap

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
We have no emissions tests here, so using 94 or older would be easiest. So if I find a good deal on a 2005, use the mustang harness and pcm to run the engine, modify the cluster to take aftermarket gauges or hang gauges under dash,what other systems would be affected? Just curious, to the people who put a 4.6 in a ranger,what did you use to run the engine and other electrical components?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2005 Mustang computer(PCM) will not work without its factory matched HEC cluster

When you get into the mid-2000's it becomes more difficult to match electronics

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
I can't seem to get my message in the right place.I want to get a 4x2 ranger with std trans, I have a m5od trans from a 1987 f150, a new flywheel and clutch assy, oil filter relocation kit
motor mounts etc. 1994 and older rangers usually have rust, i don't want to do rust repair so thats why I was thinking if a 2005, at least it doesn't have pats

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You want a 2003 or earlier Ranger, period

2005 won't work because of the SJB, HEC Cluster and more advanced CAN BUS system, used in 2004 and up Rangers

PATS is not the issue, nor is it a big issue on 1999-2003 Ranger swaps, it can be deleted or new PATS keys added once its installed

If you want to pull out most of the cab wiring then you can use a 2005 body, but I wouldn't since the 2003 body is exactly the same and much easier to do the V8 swap

You CAN do anything, just a heads on the layers of difficulty when you go to 2004 and up Ranger
I would google Ranger V8 swaps, I would imagine someone has done a later model V8 Ranger they would be a good source of any extra issues you are likely to encounter

Just another heads up, the earlier M5R2 has shifter farther forward, so you will need to cut a new hole in the floor and make a custom shift arm to clear the Ranger dash

Last edited:

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
I have looked at a lot of swaps on here but most are using explorer motor and harness. I'm using a 1989 mustang harness and engine 5.0. When using this harness how will it intregrate into newer models, say 1998-2003. which suspension has more room for swap, torsion bar or control arms? I'm looking at a 2002 ranger edge 2wd. I understand they have torsion bars instead of SLA, any problems with that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never read about front suspension being in the way in a V8 swap?

The explorer V8 was used because of the low intake height and the extra parts(fan belt accessories) that fit Rangers when you buy the whole explorer
Mustangs have a longer engine bay I think, measure to make sure the accessories don't stick out too far

Engine can also sit lower in a Mustang
You can do a body lift if height of Mustang intake is an inch or two higher

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can use an exploder intake with that mustang computer and harness you need to drill and tap one of the vacuum ports on the under side of the upper plenum for the Air Charge Temp Sensor.
Or drill and tap runner 5 on the lower plenum. It's easier to use a distributor if you use that setup and the exploder accessory brackets and water pump it's shorter than a mustang water pump. Also you will have to modify the top of the driver side of the accessory bracket to set your timing.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My first 5.0 was a 98 exploder motor it came with gt40p heads and the exploder intake. I used a distributor from a 89 crown vic the wiring and computer was from a 90 mustang. Sn95 fuel rail, 19lb exploder injectors. And I used a Bcam and trickflow lifters and pushrods and valve springs, proform 1.71 roller rockers. 70mm throttle body. All the mustang sensors. That setup was good for about 300hp at the crank according to the disinformation on the internet.

My second motor

Balanced and machined
Wiesco forged pistons
Eagle forged Rods with the bigger connecting rod bolts,
B cam
All Arp bolts
L&L products oil filter relocation kit
Trickflow lifters and hardened pushrods
Trickflow valve springs
Gt40p heads (soon to be AFR)
Trickflow intake
24lb injectors
Sn95 fuel rail (soon to be trickflow)
70mm eldebrock/bbk throttle body
76mm maf

I have know idea what im making rn but it moves.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have looked at a lot of swaps on here but most are using explorer motor and harness. I'm using a 1989 mustang harness and engine 5.0. When using this harness how will it intregrate into newer models, say 1998-2003. which suspension has more room for swap, torsion bar or control arms? I'm looking at a 2002 ranger edge 2wd. I understand they have torsion bars instead of SLA, any problems with that?
You will need the Explorer oil pan and pickup. Intake would be nice (basically a cast version of a tubular Cobra intake). Explorer manifolds will fit better than the Mustang shorties. Explorer belt drive is the most compact one Ford made and will help it fit in a truck easier too.

You would be better off to sell the Mustang engine and find an Explorer one. With a late 90's to early 00's Ranger it is nearly plug and play, the engine bay is pretty much the same as an Explorer.

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Are the stock exhaust manifolds from '70s cars or trucks worth doing on 302 v8 swap on 1995 Ranger, I know they are small but might work until budget allows better.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are the stock exhaust manifolds from '70s cars or trucks worth doing on 302 v8 swap on 1995 Ranger, I know they are small but might work until budget allows better.
Yes, they can be used, early to mid-1970's manifolds

saskboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Hi, I have a Ranger now, 1996 2wd stepside std cab, was a 2.3 std trans. I installed the trans from underneath, m5od-hd fromF150, its a tight fit over the crossmember, I attached the motor to check fit, the mustang mounts don't seem to line up even if switched sides,angles wrong. What headers might fit best with that trans. Are those headers on Amazon for about $150 worth it or just Chinese crap?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals