• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I hate rust...

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I've tried 3 times to get this right, and failed.

The farther I go back, the more I find. This is my DD and I cant have it pulled apart like this.

So what do I do? I have that duplicolor paint that seals rust, but does it work?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
So what do I do? I have that duplicolor paint that seals rust, but does it work?
Maybe for about a month.

If you really want to be rid of the rust, you need to sandblast the area, cut out the bad metal, and weld in a new piece. :icon_thumby:

If this is your DD, I would leave it alone until you get a new DD, and then you can tear this apart and fix it the right way.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dang... Not the answer I wanted to hear. Im planning on keepin this truck for a while. How much do you think a shop would charge to do this?

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
little confused as to what the cloth looking stuff is at the bottom layer of all that bondo??????

if you are poor and want to get by cheap......... clean the metal as clean as you can get it. then use fiberglass reinforced bodyfiller (aka kittyhair) and do the main fill with that. something else that works good is called Allmetal
fiberglass filler will stick or soak up moisture like bondo
after that skim out with bondo and a enamalor urathane paint
the rust will come back over time this way but it will last a year or 2
for a body shop to repair this and weld in new metal.......about $600 or more

gcfishguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Funny, up here, we'd never see rust like that.

The frame, floor, fenders and doors would have rotted away to nothing years before the roof would start rusting. :(

Here, they actually make the roads out of salt...10" thick. When the water starts to eat away at the salt and create salt-holes, they patch it with a paste made from salt and battery acid.

I'm bitter...just had to sell my 99 jeep for parts because the floor, frame and several body mounts are rotted out...

Bought a 2008 ranger, pressure washing the underbody and frame this weekend, getting it slathered in undercoating next week.

Mar-glass is great stuff for repairs like that...but sure how it differs from other short-strand f-glass fillers, but I know a lot of guys that swear by it.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you used to be able to take it to a body shop where they would lead it in. worked great. now days, you either cut and weld or fiberglass. you might want to try a two-part epoxy called Marine-Tex. very good stuff. best part is it does better when applied really thick. easy to sand it down from there. it is not cheap, but i've always had excellent results with it. you can find it at boat shops mostly. good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals