• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I hate ACER!!

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
First off I'm going to say these are the WORST computers if you plan on doing anything to them.

When I bought it I went to install my 7950 video card and it won't recognize it. ACER said part malfuction and replaced the computer under warranty. after that the video card works. and I had no issues for a while.

Then the windows 7 builds were going around and I got myself a tried and true BETA just to check it out. Well that totally bricked my system because apparently the motherboard can't handle more than vista. No BIOS update available....

So that left me computer-less for a while while i was trying to find an xp disc.

After a month I ran Ubuntu just to get it going again.

Ran that for a few weeks and go a nice copy of XP to use. Install that no problem. Few weeks later, it won't turn on. the PSU is dead ( I actually tested witha multi-meter. Replaced that, now today won't turn on again, but the PSU is good. I can see a defect in the motherboard right behind the 24pin connector.

Never ever, ever ever, ever ever, will I own an acer pile of junk again...

I will however be using there box for my next build, EVERYTHING just clips in and out, you can dismantle this computer in under a minute minus motherboard and PSU.

capri1979

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the heads up. I own a Dell 4600, and just read on CNET that it was the 10th worst computer of all time. I never had a problem with it. Maybe you just had bad luck? I always thought Acer could be junk though, just because the low prices.

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah dell computers are pretty much just as bad as acer.

As much as i really hate this copmuter, I LOVE the box its in

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an Aspire One that I like so much it's now my main computer. I only use my Gateway desktop when I am doing an application that absolutely won't work with this 10" screen.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea i got the dell mini 10 net book and it crashed thursday so i had to go today and buy windows 7 and now its fixed for now its faster but i know it wont last

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the cheap stuff they make is cheap for a reason. but i do own a aspire one and a desktop and both of which never gave me problems... (knocks on wood)

ambivolent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l FFV
Transmission
Automatic
im on an acer aspire one and i have an acer 3680 laptop never had any problems with either of em, my aspire one is running both vista and windows 7 (dual boot) and ram upgraded my aspire one is gonna get a touch screen soon

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also have a Dell 4600. Only thing I don't like about it is the few PCI slots and a rather underpower PSU (which I'm still not sure if it can be replaced with a typ. PSU or if I have to buy an adapter). Now Dells Customer Service just plain sux!!! You're already agrivated over problem X and now you have to deal with some foriegner that you can barely understand or has no computer knowledge outside of the text books they read from. And the 4600 case coulda used another 3.5 bay........

mikecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gmc
Engine Size
4.3L
Transmission
Automatic
stay as far away from acer and sony laptops !!!!!!!
for when they brake on you.
the company makes you pay to sent it to them then ships it back to you for free how nice of them. and if you think i am just saying this because i have had a bad experience with these company's i have not i work in the pc repair dept of a retail store and those are the two most company's we have problems with. and our clients are not happy when you tell them that we can't touch there machine while it's under warranty.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just because your Acer broke doesn't mean they're all like that.

Acer makes a lot of good computers. I'm very happy with mine. I push it pretty hard too.

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had an emachines for like 5 years. It was a tad slow, but it worked great. But, I got home one day and it died. Took my nice mouse and keyboard with it. =[

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
Acer like all computers builds products in different levels of performance and quality. HP, Dell, Gateway, all companies do it. My current machine I bought off of eBay by a kid who builds them to pay his way though school. Works 10 times better than the dell. and HP's Ive had before. If your Acer was over 2 years old it was an antique technology wise anyway

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Just my 2cents. If you want a powerhouse pc do your research and build your own. If you want something to surf the web then do your research and buy a good store bought one from a local store. In Edmonton and Calgary we have a store called Memory Express. Great customer service and the prices are good.(they will price match). Look for a local store that can do that for you.

My current PC is 6 years old and was top of the line when I built it. The only problem I have had with it is I blew my video card up when the cooling fan on it seized.

I will be building 2 this year. One is for the wife (she dosen't like hers) and a high powered PVR for my Sat dishes.

igiveup

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the computer I have now, was built by a friend. The casing is a little ugly, Dark blue with a weird design, but it works perfectly. =]

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I have 3 Dell laptops, a Dell desktop and a tower that I built using Acer parts...

All work just fine. The acer is the oldest and has never given me a minute's problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals