• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I had to have it towed..

John Smith

Reaction score
Well it's pretty embarrasing..I'm "supposed 2 know" how to keep one of these running..but as it happenned my 2.9L was "kinda hickup'ing once in a while..kinda jerking under power..not much..just once in a while) and i passed it off as one of the those things I better look at some time ..kind remembering that ignition issues can show up under power.. (my 94 E150 jerked under load once in a while till one day It wouldn't start..then if fixed it) Well, when I bought this B2 I "upgraded to a "special coil" while trouble shooting some rough running issues..long ago (1 year or so ago)..The "new coil" (name brand racing coil)..started,,, sputtered under power...but soon after a few blocks settled down and ran fine...so I thought...fast 4ward..

For a year or so..every now and then i would have a sputter or "jerk" under load...again no concern..I'll "check the plugs and cap soon etc".. We'll, my bride of 40+ years left for the usual "day out" for the rounds at the thrift stores yesterday..(it was 21 degrees the night B4 and about 28 degrees when she left.}....I got a phone call about 30 minutes later ..she was at her first stop..evidently sputtering and coughing into the parking lot..and was helped to push it to a parking spot...Well.. an 8 mile MTN bike later..and all my checking skills and tools to no avail..I called a tow truck...

Today I start the process...codes, turns out my fuel relay had hickup'ed once in memory..so I changed that..ran some de-icing thru the filters..and then checked coil...HOT on the hot side..BLINKING on the cold side..so..checked #4 plug (easiest to get at)...WET...so I brought out new plug..hooked to wire, laid it on the A/C comp..and turned it over.."yellow" fire if at all..

Brought out new coil..hooked it up with spark plug still on the a/c comp..and checked fire...IT STARTED..blowing air thru #4 hole..surprise surprise..

Thank u for ur patience

The moral of the story is, just because you buy a "whiz-bang-4star-name brand-whatchama-callit". It may be worth checking as a possible cause of equipment failure no matter whose name is on it or what you paid for it.

FYI..I still like OEM NOS parts...and what about the "new coil I put on"..Well, it also was a "whiz-bang-4star-name brand-whatchama-callit"..( I bought two at the same time)...(We'll see how long THIS one lasts)

From now on, on my longer road trips..in fact any road trip..or any trip to town..I will always carry a few basic list of things "just in case"...and that list seems to be growing..

Here is a picture of the offending coil...you MAY notice that the brand-name is one we are all familiar with..

Last edited:

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no problems with my msd. How long have you had it on there??

John Smith

Reaction score
just about..

a year..I really posted this to actually maybe help some others realize..that when they are having troubles..even the best of parts can fail...so as not to assume they can't fail..keep checking ALL parts...if you have trouble

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got any plans for that 4 pin HEI module ??

John Smith

Reaction score
you noticed that?..

Well, when i get around to it, I thought I'd make up an extra HEI/duraspark box. I bought a couple of those for a "MacGuyvered" version if I ran out of things to do some day...what I like is..their so small they don't take up much room in a spare parts/travel/emp proof tin etc..

Got any plans for that 4 pin HEI module ??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals