• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I got screwed by Patriot Buick Chevrolet GMC in Ardmore, Ok

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
A few years ago we bought a new 2017 Ford Edge SEL AWD with the 3.5L. I loved the car; my wife absolutely loathed it after 2 months due to visibility complaints and all the techno stuff. She wanted something smaller and simpler so we decided on a Subaru Forester. I never told the dealer we were paying cash and was firm on trade-in price on the Ford with only 1500 miles. I got my trade-in price (still took a hosing though) and stayed focused on what I would pay no matter how the trade combo came out. The dealer sweetened the Subaru price thinking I would finance at a higher rate. I asked to see the contract first before seeing the finance vampire to finalize the deal. All was in order and the vampire did the usual add ons like ceramic coating, extended warranty, and other useless options. His number was a full $3200 higher than the contract price. We said no way and started to leave, the SM caught what was going on and intervened. I showed him the original contract estimate, he agreed, and I wrote a check for the full amount. An honest dealer is a misnomer, sort of like Army Intelligence and airline food.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sticky this post to other possible Ranger buyers to avoid this craphole dealer. Also file a complaint with the OK better Business Bureau. look up any other consumer watchdog groups in OK and file under them too.

Go do a 4wd burnout on their lawn with TRS-2

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
looks like a good start for TRS-3 though.

Waiting somewhat impatiently for the build thread

AJ

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Jim....Jim...Jim......

how many times have I told you a good deed (being honest) never goes UNPUNISHED.

Chalk it up as "Stuff" Happens....

then go enjoy that new truck of yours!!!!!!!!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have gone car shopping for myself and as wingman for others many many times. I have never even once had a non terrible experience of being worn down for hours/days.

The only time I didn't get reamed was buying my F150, and that was because I was willing to walk away, which I did a few times and was called back. Took 3 days total maybe 20 hours, and lots of stress. I would rather get a root canal without anesthesia than buy a car from dealership. Its a dragging horrible dreadful experience every time.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't called the dealer. I started the deal with the salesman who then put me with his manager to haggle. The person that closed the deal was the sales managers boss, the general manager. What do I do, call the general manager to complain on the general manager. I signed the stupid paperwork.

I literally just had a conversation with my daughter about not letting them roll negative equity in on a deal when she trades her Wrangler, and then let it happen to me. 🤦‍♂️

Right now I'm packing to go meet my girlfriend 3-hours away at her father's. Her father passed away and the funeral is this weekend. I should be there. This is not a good week.
This doesn't look like "getting screwed" to me. It looks like "they neglected to tell me that they would roll the negative equity into the new loan".

I've had that happen myself, when I've traded in vehicles that I still owed money on. They may or may not have told me they were doing it, I don't remember. What I remember is that I owed $11,000 on the trade-in. They gave me $3,100 for it, which they took off the price of the new car (making $21,000 $18,000). But, then, they rolled the balance of the old loan into the new one, making it $26,000.00.

They HAVE to do it. You HAVE to hand them a trade with a clean title (and yours had a lien on it). They HAVE to pay off the lien in order to sell the traded truck. There are only two ways that they can sell your trade. Either by you paying off the loan before you trade it, OR, by them paying off the loan. There's no such thing as "I won't let them roll negative equity into my new loan".

Where the problem comes in for you, Jim, is that they added the negative equity to the price of the new truck. In my case, my documentation looked like this:

1) Purchase price of new car: $21,000.00
2) Trade-in value: $3,000
3) New price: $18,000.00
4) Balance owed on prior loan: $8,000
5) Amount financed: $26,000.00.

It was all laid out in clear terms, so that I could see later exactly what they had done.

Did you get screwed? In the end, you paid $3,000 more for your new Ranger than their asking price so that your loan on the trade could be paid off, by them, to clear the lien so they could sell it.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The general manager told me that they were still going to give me the money for my F150 even though their car buyer backed out and take the loss. He even said he hoped I wouldn't do the deal because they're taking a loss. That's when they should have said that they were adding the difference to the Rangers price. Adding the negative equity to the price of the Ranger IS NOT taking a loss.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The general manager told me that they were still going to give me the money for my F150 even though their car buyer backed out and take the loss. He even said he hoped I wouldn't do the deal because they're taking a loss. That's when they should have said that they were adding the difference to the Rangers price. Adding the negative equity to the price of the Ranger IS NOT taking a loss.
I wonder if, when it got to the finance office, the finance manager said they couldn't do it because of the lien on the F150. Should they have been up front, and told you that they couldn't honour the deal you'd made? Yes, absolutely, and the paperwork should have reflected the new truck at the agreed upon price, the trade, the balance owed on the trade, etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if, when it got to the finance office, the finance manager said they couldn't do it because of the lien on the F150. Should they have been up front, and told you that they couldn't honour the deal you'd made? Yes, absolutely, and the paperwork should have reflected the new truck at the agreed upon price, the trade, the balance owed on the trade, etc.
The lack of upfrontness I think is the big problem here more than anything.

If you can't do it, say you can't do it.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Had I known they were going to add that cost to the Ranger I would have walked away and continued my search.

Last edited:

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
File a lemon law on it since the whole situation has left a bitter sour taste in your mouth.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@Jim Oaks, Maybe you can explain to them the Idea/Concept of the purchase and see if there is anything they can contribute ( shop time labor maybe ) to the build. To kind of smooth things over a little. Maybe even be ONE of the sponsors for TRS-3. Just an Idea.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It would be better to see if they could get you a replacement bumper cover at cost... maybe even the upfitter switch parts to upgrade to the Tremor aux switches.

Either way... sounds like the deal is done. If 3k is the worst you get screwed out of in life these days... it still might sting... but it could be worse.

Congrats on the new to you truck... and looking forward to where it goes from here.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
File a lemon law on it since the whole situation has left a bitter sour taste in your mouth.
Lemon law doesn't apply here at all. The first reason being that Jim isn't the first owner.

I think this is just a matter of not reading what you're signing. Every time I've bought from a dealer, I added a solid half hour to the process cause I skim through every page put in front of me and solidly read any pages with numbers. Don't think I'm putting anyone down here tho. Underhanded salesmen are professionals at sneaking in fees. During my shopping, I walked away from seemingly great deals before letting on that I wasn't just a tire-kicker because I didn't like the sales folks. I have a long list of dealerships I won't set foot on for any reason. That's my method to lower the chances of getting burned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals