• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I got a few questions

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well for startes can I run differnet gears in my front end than what's in my rear? such as 4.56 front and 3.73's in the rear (this my seem dumb but I need to know) Also I have read about suicide springs for dana 35 TTB do these come off stock XJ's or are they modified springs? Do I need a lift to run them and if so would a body lift work or would it need to be a suspension lift? Thanks for all the help I'm new here so these may seem like dumb questions

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You cannot run different gears in the front than rear (unless you are just trying to destroy something) they will turn at different speeds and you can imagine what would happen then... :icon_surprised:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Suicide springs lol (haven't heard that mentioned in awhile)

Yes, you should have at least 2.5" of lift to make good use of the travel afforded by a set of better springs (3-4" lift being the ideal range). Above this, the steering geometry gets tougher to deal with though ("Suicide springs" was a term coined awhile back by those who failed to address some issues on their steering after going from the stiff immovable TTB coils to much more limber Jeep XJ coils, which led to some pretty scary behavior of the suspension. :shok: With your steering in proper order however, they are quite well mannered (at least as good as the same coils used on the Jeep's suspension).

As for which coils to use, the Skyjacker Jeep XJ coils (#JC60F) have worked well for many (myself included), although if your truck is on the heavier side (such as the Supercab Ranger), some of the coils made for early Broncos would work better (look for coils rated around 300PPI, vs. 240PPI for the Skyjacker XJ coils).

Take a look at the FAQ at the top of the forum here if you haven't already. There are some links in there that can get you started on the road to freeing up some more movement on your suspension :icon_thumby:

...and yes, your axle ratios must match front & rear (to within 0.05 or so).

Hope that helps

Welcome to the site :beer:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
You can run different gears front and rear as long as you never shift it into 4wd. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having a 4x4.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
..suicide springs?

("Suicide springs" was a term coined awhile back by those who failed to address some issues on their steering after going from the stiff immovable TTB coils to much more limber Jeep XJ coils, which led to some pretty scary behavior of the suspension. :shok: With your steering in proper order however, they are quite well mannered (at least as good as the same coils used on the Jeep's suspension).

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh I see. I didn't notice that part first time I read threw.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Im looking for softer springs for my ttb
Ive got 6" skyjacker lift coils now, what coils would give comparable lift but flex better. and what mods are needed to run them?
Ive read through some other threads about the heep coils but...:icon_confused:

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive got 6" skyjacker lift coils now, what coils would give comparable lift but flex better. and what mods are needed to run them?
Yea i'm in the same boat I think you use 6" lift springs for a jeep XJ but to have the flex you also have to change the shocks so they are longer and do a few other things but I'm not completely sure. Hopefully someone will know exactly what needs done.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You'll probably need to do a little math to figure out the exact coil length you need, but something around 300PPI is what you'll need for the weight of a Supercab truck.

IIRC, BroncoGraveyard had some coils around 22-23" free that looked promising for use on Supercabs.

Yea i'm in the same boat I think you use 6" lift springs for a jeep XJ but to have the flex you also have to change the shocks so they are longer and do a few other things but I'm not completely sure. Hopefully someone will know exactly what needs done.
Start by reading through the FAQ post at the top here. Near the bottom should be some links that'll take you to most of the info you'll need.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Well for startes can I run differnet gears in my front end than what's in my rear? such as 4.56 front and 3.73's in the rear (this my seem dumb but I need to know)
Yes and No...

Yes - if the ratios are close, say 4.30 in the rear (9" ratio) and 4.27 in the frt (D44 Ratio).
No - if the ratios are spread too far, as already stated.
Yes - if the tire diameters are different to compensate for the difference in ratios.
Yes - if you are drag racing, either mud or sand (not on a hard surface); the lower numerical/higher ratio gears in frt will keep the front tires spinning faster and help keep the frt of the vehicle straight.

It is common practice to use the same ratios in the front an the rear.

Just my 2 cents

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals