• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I can’t shift to 4low

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
I’m looking for advice on my 02 ranger edge manual transmission 3 liter, it shifts into 4x4 but not 4low.
I have replaced the switch on the brake pedal and I ordered a “speed sensor “ which I installed on the rear differential.
Both the 4wd lights illuminate upon starting
So I am guessing there is a nuetral position sensor on the transmission, but I don’t see it on any auto parts websites. There is s sensor on the driver side of the transmission and one near the shifter.
Any help would be appreciated, I need 4low as I keep my popup camper on the truck

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looking at this diagram, besides being in neutral do you have to hold the brake pedal down also?

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I guess this answers my question.

Electronic Shift Control System

Four-wheel drive mode is selected using a rotary switch located on the instrument panel. With the vehicle ignition on, the on-board controller verifies and matches the shift motor position to the switch.

To shift in and out of 4WD low, three conditions must be met:

1. The automatic transmission must be in NEUTRAL or the manual clutch depressed.
  2. The brake must be applied.
  3. The vehicle speed must be less than 5 km/h (3 mph)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Four-wheel drive mode is selected using a rotary switch located on the instrument panel. With the vehicle ignition on, the on-board controller verifies and matches the shift motor position to the switch.

• The automatic transmission must be in NEUTRAL or the manual clutch depressed.
    • The brake must be applied.
    • The vehicle speed must be less than 5 km/h (3 mph)
Yes. Shifting between 2wd and 4-hi can be done with the vehicle moving. Going between 4-hi and 4-lo, must be basically stopped with brake pedal pushed.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you shifting it correctly?

tsilva2005

Reaction score

Just picked up a 4x4 ranger couple weeks ago. Went through everything doing a systems check to see what was working and what wasn't. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shift into 4 low. No sooner did that problem arise this thread popped up lol. Can confirm now that it does indeed engage with these conditions are met.

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I have had the truck since new, and I replaced the switch on the brake, I know there is another sensor suppedly for transmission speed or nuetral, it’s a manual, and I can’t find a part for that sensor.

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
To be clear, I have successfully shifted into low thousands of times. The solenoid is functional and shifts to 4high no problem.

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual

The implication is that there is a nuetral sensor, but the auto stores don’t seem to list it, all i see is a position sensor for automatic

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Just picked up a 4x4 ranger couple weeks ago. Went through everything doing a systems check to see what was working and what wasn't. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shift into 4 low. No sooner did that problem arise this thread popped up lol. Can confirm now that it does indeed engage with these conditions are met.

Looking at this diagram, besides being in neutral do you have to hold the brake pedal down also?
Interesting, i see the brake switch but no speed sensor or nuetral position sensor. I think the first thing i read was that there is a speed sensor, so I ordered one, and finally found that it fits in the too of the differential, there are two other sensors on the gearbox, but I can’t figure out what they do.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
02 should only have 1 on the transmission. The reverse light switch. If there is another, it should be a neutral switch. I've heard that they fit the transmission the same and can be swapped if you have the connector to match. Seems unlikely...

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
02 should only have 1 on the transmission. The reverse light switch. If there is another, it should be a neutral switch. I've heard that they fit the transmission the same and can be swapped if you have the connector to match. Seems unlikely...

NealBloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I think the one near the shifter is the reverse and the one on the side is the one I need, still can’t find a part listed for it, maybe I don’t know the actual name of the sensor. I just tried a new computer, no change. The only thing I haven’t replaced is the switch and the nutral or speed sensor

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Ask the older dude that works at your local napa. He will know

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yup, I think the one near the shifter is the reverse and the one on the side is the one I need, still can’t find a part listed for it, maybe I don’t know the actual name of the sensor. I just tried a new computer, no change. The only thing I haven’t replaced is the switch and the nutral or speed sensor
After '89 the M5OD only had the reverse switch on it. The sensor on the rear diff is the speed sensor that everything uses for speed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals