• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a High Rider...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I got my front bumper on. I had to make some brackets for attaching a first gen bumper to a second gen frame... pretty easy... just part of the first gen frame horn and part of the second gen bumper brackets.

I have it licensed and insured now so I took it for a drive around the block last night. It is really snappy, the fiberglass bed really cuts down on weight I think.

Gonna try and get it in for an alignment today or tomorrow. I still have some tire rub issues to deal with too, not nearly as bad as before the coil spacers though. May do a 1/2" or 1" body lift.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Shran:

The Hi-Ryder lift works great with a 4" body lift. I feel the best ride from it will be from 2" Skyjacker Softride coils; they may need to be for the Explorer to realise the actual full 2" lift. I have heard from users that the James Duff LLC variable rate coils also ride very nice.

I stayed with 2" coils because it's alignment has always been a none issue. I bought the extra alignment adjusters and never needed them.

With the Hi-Ryder lift, 4" body lift and 32"s, I still needed to trim the fenders for non interference wheel travel but fender flares his that move well, wheel well ..)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I may not need the body lift after all. I had it in for an alignment yesterday, they put a 2.5 degree bushing in one side and flipped the one on the other side around and it's in spec and doesn't seem to be rubbing anywhere.

I put about 20 miles on it last night, runs really well, cruises right down the highway, zero weird issues.

Until this morning anyway... I was going to drive it to work and it wouldn't start. Seems to be fuel related. I don't hear the pump and am thinking I blew a fuse or something perhaps, will look at it tonight. It was fun while it lasted!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That looks sharp, really well put together. I wish I could find something like that in NJ.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That looks sharp, really well put together. I wish I could find something like that in NJ.
Thanks! Still a long ways to go but just driving it was a big step forward.

I've put about 100 miles on it so far. Other than a sticking fuel pump relay (that was the problem I mentioned above) it's been great.

The fiberglass box really transfers a lot of weight to the front of the truck. The brakes are REALLY grabby - have to be careful, the lack of ABS and the larger Explorer drums in the rear gets a little hairy sometimes. It has no trouble stopping but it's also very easy to lock up the brakes...which I have done twice now by accident.

Seems to have a lot of snort right out of the gate but it kinda runs out of steam at highway speeds in 5th gear. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's my imagination and it's just so damn loud and rattly that I'm not giving it as much throttle as I could... just seems like it frickin rips all the way through 4th and after that it's tapped out.

Think I'm still gonna do a very short body lift. I get tire rub once in a great while, MUCH better than it was but I want none. I think I can lift the cab an inch or more and leave the box alone and it'll still look normal, there are not really any body lines to match up so that's kinda cool.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Thanks! Still a long ways to go but just driving it was a big step forward.

I've put about 100 miles on it so far. Other than a sticking fuel pump relay (that was the problem I mentioned above) it's been great.

The fiberglass box really transfers a lot of weight to the front of the truck. The brakes are REALLY grabby - have to be careful, the lack of ABS and the larger Explorer drums in the rear gets a little hairy sometimes. It has no trouble stopping but it's also very easy to lock up the brakes...which I have done twice now by accident.

Seems to have a lot of snort right out of the gate but it kinda runs out of steam at highway speeds in 5th gear. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's my imagination and it's just so damn loud and rattly that I'm not giving it as much throttle as I could... just seems like it frickin rips all the way through 4th and after that it's tapped out.

Think I'm still gonna do a very short body lift. I get tire rub once in a great while, MUCH better than it was but I want none. I think I can lift the cab an inch or more and leave the box alone and it'll still look normal, there are not really any body lines to match up so that's kinda cool.
If you throw a toolbox in the bed and put some stuff in it, it will help. Not long after I got my Ranger, I had to do a panic stop on the highway and "hairy" can be an understatement.

What tire size, gear ratio, etc. are you running. Maybe a gear change would be in order.

A 1" body lift would probably be a help. Is the tire rub in the front or front and rear?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Shran:

31's on 3:73's is going to lose some steam on the top. Doesn't seem like much but 28.5's would keep it going; 32's are perfect for 4:10's but 31"-33" will work well on them ..)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Does indeed have 3.73's and 31" Duratracs. If I find a set of axles with 4.10s someday I'll swap them out... I like how it looks with the 31s vs a smaller tire.

Tire rub is in the front, it catches on the inner wheel well liner in a couple spots. I may try to heat it up with a heat gun and push it back. It only happens in specific places - backing up in an inclined parking lot for example... almost not worth messing with.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Get the heat gun, it should work well if the rubbing only occurs in specific situations.

If you put the 4.10's in with the 31" tires, that truck will run pretty darn good. I know my 09 is quite a bit different than yours, but with 265/70R16 (30.7) and 4.10 gears, i get pretty good performance. Also, if you do ever decide to change out the duratracs, you will probably get a little better performance with a tire that weighs less.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I ordered a carpet kit from Stock Interiors that came in last week. Highly recommend these guys if you need carpet or new vinyl/rubber flooring - I have purchased from them several times now, they have excellent products and their prices are good. I will probably wait to install it until after I get the truck painted but it's here either way.

I also ordered a bunch of AC parts... condenser, hoses, drier, O rings, etc. I have a new compressor already and am going to convert the whole thing to R134a. Figured it would be easier to just replace all of that and use only my evaporator rather than mess with old parts that were questionable to begin with.

My original goal was to have the truck painted this summer but between other projects I've kinda moved it back to this fall/winter hopefully.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They didn't have vinyl flooring for my 2011. That makes me sad. At least there is still LMC truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I imagine they will eventually. 2011 is still new enough that there may not be much demand for it.

I have on occasion purchased carpet from junkyards... my F150 came with vinyl flooring that fell apart. I got a junkyard carpet from another bullnose F150 that cost me nothing - it was absolutely gross but I was able to clean it up at the car wash with soap and hot water rinse. Apart from one small cigarette burn it looks really nice. Since then the car wash has been my go-to... I've cleaned up some very nasty Explorer carpets that looked great afterwards. All those years of crumbs, spilled soda, dog hair and dirt just wash right out.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I just wanna replace the carpet so I don’t have to worry about what gets on it. Nothing wrong with what’s in there now.

I got the vinyl floor in the 2019 and love it so much I wanna get it for the 2011.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals