I bought a High Rider...

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
I will post up more info concerning shocks, drop radius arm bracket, sway bar, springs, and bump stops once I get everything cleaned up. This truck is unbelievably filthy underneath and everything is getting run through the parts washer before I can take good pics.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 57CD9601BD5AB4 Expires: July 1, 2019

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Let's talk radius arm drop brackets now. As you can see, the high rider one has an additional block plus the plate. It is welded to the radius arm crossmember in several places as you can see. The crossmember itself is identical to a normal truck's part.

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Also, here are some pics of the driver's side beam drop bracket. It bolts up perfectly to my Explorer frame with two exceptions - I needed to clearance a spot on the bottom of the frame about 1/8", and I had to drill one hole in the side of the frame as shown for the extra tab.

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Here is a spring comparison. As you can see, unsprung lengths vary... compressed at ride height is another story. The red aftermarket coils actually compress down to the same height as the Explorer springs, even though they're the same unsprung length as the STX coils. Interesting.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '94, '80
Make / Model
Ford, GMC
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The red coil has an extra wrap compared to the stx coil. That means it's longer if straightened out and will act like a longer spring ie; have more give [less *ppi] . The black explorer spring has an extra wrap, but also is a progressive spring. So as it collapses the coils start touching making it act like a shorter spring ie; less give [more ppi]. It would be interesting to know what the motor was/is for each spring.

*Pounds Per Inch

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
2.9, 4.0, 4.0, 2.9, 2.9, 2.9. These all came out of trucks I either disassembled and changed suspension parts in or scrapped. The red ones came out of a 1991 Ranger, extended cab 2.9 auto 4x4. No idea what brand they are, obviously aftermarket.