• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a High Rider...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You’ve already done without heat for 5 years... what’s one more?

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That looks amazing. My goal in life is to have a shop large enough to do work like that.

What color again did you use? It almost looks like the dark blue color of old 92 Explorer, which coincidentally had the same color interior.

Seeing your truck, I almost wish I had kept my Explorer, but since it was a 2wd, I just didn't have much use for it that way.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That looks amazing. My goal in life is to have a shop large enough to do work like that.

What color again did you use? It almost looks like the dark blue color of old 92 Explorer, which coincidentally had the same color interior.

Seeing your truck, I almost wish I had kept my Explorer, but since it was a 2wd, I just didn't have much use for it that way.
Thanks! The color is Dark Midnight Blue Pearl. It's a neat color, the metallic flakes barely show up in darker places but it really sparkles in the sunlight. It is fairly similar to the color on my '92 Explorer as well - I imagine yours was the same color as mine, dark metallic blue, I forget what the name of that one was.

Last night I put my passenger fender on and then the bumper, stone deflector piece and bumper. Had my fiance help me put the hood on and got everything lined up, then did the grille and a few other things. Looks pretty good! Left on the list is door panels, rear window, cargo light, turn signals and a few other small things. I probably will wait on the windshield trim until I get the box painted, that way I can drive it to the glass shop and have a new windshield put in.

I am definitely going to find another hood and replace this one at some point. It looks OK at best... the hail damage on it really showed up despite my best efforts to fix it. No big deal, it was the first panel I had ever painted this way and mistakes were made.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That doesn't look pretty good, it looks great! Good job man. Glad to see this one looking shiny and new. Hard work paying off!

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Color really pops with the chrome. Thinking about going to the older style mirrors instead of the flappy ones?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was a guy selling supposedly NOS hoods on ebay awhile ago, around $250 IIRC

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Color really pops with the chrome. Thinking about going to the older style mirrors instead of the flappy ones?
I would really like to find some chrome mirrors. The flappy ones will work for now, originally this had the big dopey looking double mount truck mirrors which I didn't like.

Years ago I had a pair of little chrome mirrors that I found on a Bronco II. Those would have been perfect but one broke and the swivel ball on the other wore out. They are very hard to find to begin with.

There was a guy selling supposedly NOS hoods on ebay awhile ago, around $250 IIRC
I just found that, looks like Dennis Carpenter. Ships via freight... spendy. I may just take the hood off my '85 and redo it... that one only has a couple small dents. Or I may go hit up a few junkyards, it's a crap shoot though with as much hail as we get here.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, used hoods are HARD to find.

I found a nice one few years ago and now it has a big rust spot after sitting for a few years. :annoyed:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's turning out to be a gem of a truck. Great work!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Would look nice with a flat bed..

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
One long awaited item done... door panels... these are the Coverlay ones you can get on Rock Auto that I had a hell of a time with. Long story short, they sent me three sets of these. The first two sets were just awful and had big gouges in the edges. Very disappointing for $250...they finally sent me a good set, which I waited to install till after the paint work was done.

They look and fit good. I did find one more thing that really annoys me - the trim clips are painted and the paint was flaking off before I even took them out of the package. I pushed them in by hand with my thumb and a lot of paint came off all of them.

Not sure at this point if I will just let the paint flake off and leave them black, or raise hell again with Coverlay and hope they make it right. I have two sets that are like this, it's not a one off problem.

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That stinks. Paint should be a little more durable than that. If you are interested, I may have some of the original Ford pins that might work for that. I think they are the same color and texture. My dad had picked up a complete interior pushpin kit for the interior of our 92 at some point. The bag was complete until a few years ago when he opened it to use some for another random project.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That stinks. Paint should be a little more durable than that. If you are interested, I may have some of the original Ford pins that might work for that. I think they are the same color and texture. My dad had picked up a complete interior pushpin kit for the interior of our 92 at some point. The bag was complete until a few years ago when he opened it to use some for another random project.
No kidding? That's cool, I'd be interested, most of my vehicles have blue interior and I'm sure I'd use them either here or on something.

I got my rear window and cargo light installed last night. I reused the window gasket, it was in good shape, although it was filthy. I soaked it in hot water in the bathtub for a few hours and scrubbed the inside...came out looking pretty good, window frame needed a lot of cleanup too. Many years of greasy dirt stuck to both items. I had my kid help me do the window, I used the "rope trick" to install it. Worked great! I have never done that before, my buddy clued me in on that. MUCH easier than using pry bars and flat screwdrivers.

The cargo light was a new thing from LMC Truck. I have a bunch of these on the shelf but the gaskets are shot and the lenses are often melted through. Was spendy at $60 but it looks great and hopefully will not leak, and has a new harness now.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No kidding? That's cool, I'd be interested, most of my vehicles have blue interior and I'm sure I'd use them either here or on something.

I got my rear window and cargo light installed last night. I reused the window gasket, it was in good shape, although it was filthy. I soaked it in hot water in the bathtub for a few hours and scrubbed the inside...came out looking pretty good, window frame needed a lot of cleanup too. Many years of greasy dirt stuck to both items. I had my kid help me do the window, I used the "rope trick" to install it. Worked great! I have never done that before, my buddy clued me in on that. MUCH easier than using pry bars and flat screwdrivers.

The cargo light was a new thing from LMC Truck. I have a bunch of these on the shelf but the gaskets are shot and the lenses are often melted through. Was spendy at $60 but it looks great and hopefully will not leak, and has a new harness now.

I love that paint color.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals