• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I am a bit lost on what to do next

Daradune

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This last weekend my Ranger failed to start and has yet to even turn over.

It is a 2 wheel drive, 2.3l, 1997 ranger

When I turn the key there is a loud grinding noise and nothing else. Everything I found online said it was probably a bad starter and after replacing that the same problem continues. I have manually checked the flywheel by turning it with a screw driver with nothing more then normal minor wear anywhere on the teeth. We then attempted to push start the thing with no luck and with a few jumps and clunks the engine did not turn over and still failed to start.

I am at a total loss as to what to do next and need to be back on the road asap, any and all help is appreciated even if it is just confirming my worst fears in having to retire my first vehicle and moving on.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try pulling all the sparkplugs and then turn it over. If it turns freely via the starter then do a compression test. Block open the throttle and test each cylinder writing down the results. They should be up somewhere 150 psi and also should be within 10% of each other. Let us know the results.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is it auto or stick?

I really feel like you are jumping the gun even thinking about retiring it. This is probably something stupid and simple like a broken flex plate. Time consuming to repair, yes, it will probably take a whole weekend, but worth junking the vehicle over, not by a long shot.

Also, your engine isn't a V4. It's an I4. V or I refer to the shape of the engine, since yours is an inline it doesn't look like a V.

Daradune

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It is a stick, and thanks for the input, I will get what I can checked out tonight and report back. It has been a long weekend for me trying to get the thing working. Looking on line it is like WebMD, either your starter needs to be replaced or the engine block is cracked.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I doubt the block is cracked. That would be and extremely extreme event.

Now you say it didn't start when you pushed it. If you turn the crank over manually with a ratchet can you see the flywheel move? Can you hold the flywheel still while doing the same?

It may also be of some value to make a mark on the flywheel and put the starter back in, try cranking it, and see if the mark has moved.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
This last weekend my Ranger failed to start and has yet to even turn over.

It is a 2 wheel drive, 2.3l, 1997 ranger

When I turn the key there is a loud grinding noise and nothing else. Everything I found online said it was probably a bad starter and after replacing that the same problem continues. I have manually checked the flywheel by turning it with a screw driver with nothing more then normal minor wear anywhere on the teeth. We then attempted to push start the thing with no luck and with a few jumps and clunks the engine did not turn over and still failed to start.

I am at a total loss as to what to do next and need to be back on the road asap, any and all help is appreciated even if it is just confirming my worst fears in having to retire my first vehicle and moving on.
your definition of grinding may differ from others, so that really isn't much to go on.

what gear was it in when attempting push start?

here is a cheap and relatively easy test:

truck on level ground
put in 4th or 5th gear
release parking brake
with manual labor, attempt to rock it back & forth
hint: grab the tires, it will give you leverage
as the truck moves back & forth a couple of inches you should see the engine trying to turn over, then fan should move both ways but not much.
that will establish the integrity of the entire drivetrain.

some noise from the rear axle is expected, that's just the play between the gears reversing.

loud clunks from the engine area will be cause for concern.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
One other thing to consider is the battery condition. A battery may have enough juice to partially engage the starter, and grind away, making unusual noises, yet not have enough to actually crank the engine over. Wouldn't hurt to try checking the voltage level, or using jumper cables to insure you have enough battery power. Most times, the starter relay will chatter, but it's not an absolute.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals