• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hydrogen powered Ranger

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think what he was getting at is that for a rural person or someone who lives considerable distance away from the amenities and shopping, the battery range is cutting it close. the numbers you mention are for good weather and conditions. even your 520 mile range EV will drastically be reduced in a below freezing or above 110 degree desert environment. plus all of the added electronics to make that rip safe and comfortable will further reduce the battery life. Also this is with a brand new battery pack. as the car and battery age, that range is going down..

For a person in 1990SK's demographic, available public charging stations where you can leave the car charge for 30 minutes would greatly help, especially if you are doing shopping anyways. but unless it is a major metropolitan area, most cities do not have that kind of infrastructure yet. Here in Indianapolis, there are a limited amount of public charging stations but I would not want to bet my ability to get home on finding one readily available near where I am shopping...

And as for the bunny... now where did I put my stew pot...

AJ
Cold weather reduces range by up to 50%. So, a car with a range of 300 miles now has a range of 150. Remember how much I said I needed? I need 250.

It doesn't usually take me 30 minutes to shop. I'd say 15 minutes, tops. Even when I have a grocery list of 10 items, it doesn't take me 30 minutes.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yes, there is some range loss due to cold and running heater

but you can add 200 miles in 15 minutes with a Tesla Supercharger
If a supercharger isn't available, a level 2 charger will add 30 miles an hour. so find a place with destination charging and charge your car while you eat and shop. Alot of these places are starting to offer free charging while you shop
Range loss due to cold is up to 50%.

30 miles per hour at a level two charger? Wow, that's impressive! In the time it would take to add enough range to drive home, I could have driven home and back to the city.

The super charger would be doable. 15 minutes of charging would give me enough range to get home. Assuming, of course, that it's not -40.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not all about YOU you know, the planet needs to LIVE
Drive the EV most of the way and WALK the rest
Man Up or move closer to town, dang Hippies

Rabbit pancakes, tried 'em, fur gets stuck between my teeth, bring floss

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Range loss due to cold is up to 50%.

30 miles per hour at a level two charger? Wow, that's impressive! In the time it would take to add enough range to drive home, I could have driven home and back to the city.

The super charger would be doable. 15 minutes of charging would give me enough range to get home. Assuming, of course, that it's not -40.
With pre-starting, running heater and leaving it idling, My ranger often sees a 30% hit to mileage in the cold as well. and don't forget Diesel's need plugged into the wall when it gets really cold to keep them warm as well.

50% range loss is true for some EV's. The Model Y for example has alot of new engineering around thermal management for heating/cooling the batteries.
This person calculates range loss closer to 20%. I've always seen the range hit to be about 30-40% but only when the battery is cold soaked all day.

As more EV's are made and battery tech gets better, this won't be an issue. We'll see the F150 Lightning and Cybertruck ranges soon and expect both of those to be around 500 miles.

Level 2 charging is pretty slow and is only nice for the fact it's often free if you find the right charger.
I personally would only buy Tesla up to this point as the Supercharger network is what sets them apart and makes it possible to drive them long range and across country.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I like my hybrid. But long term reliable....

No
Not expecting much. In this regard they are pollution and resources wasting nightmares...

But...I see it this way.

It's an investment in development.

I love electric vehicles. Zero rpm torque and turn table steering capacity ....

Bring it.

I would rather listen to a well tuned v8 over anything....

But the silon raider noises the powerboost makes are ok.

It has the best city/combined mpg of any family truckster we have ever owned.

And when the power goes out ...it keeps the house running...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals