• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hybrid front axle Ford8.8/Dana30

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
not to nit pick... but I will.....

most of that carnage I seen was due to driver. What do you think is going to happen when you wedge your tires like that? You should probably invest in some hydro steering as well.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
not to nit pick.....

beef the c's at least!!

consider the aftermarket knuckles and c's with the beefy balljoints. i was munching 8.8 innards, that was a big driving factor to upgrading the axles on my ranger, combined with waning supply of good d35 front axle stuff readily available....

seems you should have some type of pajeros or shit like that there with rear dana 44's?? no toyota axles in greece?

a factory locker from a toy with aftermarket knuckles would put you right.

hell you can buy a d60 direct from dana, after what you have shelled out to this point in busted stuff, it may have been cheaper:dunno:

beef the c's at least with some bracing...tie it into a full truss and at least that should get you by for a bit.

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
not sure what "not to nit pick..." means... sorry. my english some times are limited.:D

anyway, about the C's i have in mind to beef them up as much as i can. can not go to aftermarket for now.
Toyota? Milions of Hilux. but only with the small diff. 8" and 7,5". Toyota with big differentials are only the Land Cruiser and people who have land cruiser dont sell them, they upgrade them...
Dana60-Gm14 was a good, cheep (1200euros for a D60 and GM14) and unbreakable solution but the weight of theese axles is three times biger than a F8.8. my XJ is allready heavy, i dont need more weight.
thats why i ended up on F8.8
my main problem in the D30 & D35 was the small crown pinion and the week axleshafts in front. i never broke a chromoly shaft in D35. only crown pinions.
Now with the F8.8 i will have a big crown pinion and two unbreakable shafts in the rear. Same thing in front with the RCV Performance (i hope).
thats why i ended up on this solution. And it came up cheep until now. 750euros for the two axles.
and hope to buy axleshafts and crown-pinions from U.S. avoiding customs.

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
not to nit pick... but I will.....

most of that carnage I seen was due to driver. What do you think is going to happen when you wedge your tires like that? You should probably invest in some hydro steering as well.
the driver has a brain damage:D
i know that the turned wheels cause problems and mostly to the u-joints but i hope i will solve this with a pair of RCV's.

Why do you think i need a hydro steering?:icon_confused:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Those big of wheels and what you are doing with your XJ, hydro assist would help you out.

How well do you think the 8.8 will hold up being driven and wheeled with the gears going in the reverse dirrection?

I will say a D60 would have been to solution, weight wouldnt have been to bad plus if you wanted to cut some weight off then you could have narrowed it. Why is weight an issue, I think breaking stuff on the trail would be far worse to worry about then weight.

And I wouldnt say the 8.8 has unbreakable shafts, I have seen them broken. Thats when guys upgrade to the ford 9 inch rear end and there are alot of options there to play with or a full floater D60 rear.

And nit pick means getting into deatils and pointing stuff out.

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
Those big of wheels and what you are doing with your XJ, hydro assist would help you out.

How well do you think the 8.8 will hold up being driven and wheeled with the gears going in the reverse dirrection?

I will say a D60 would have been to solution, weight wouldnt have been to bad plus if you wanted to cut some weight off then you could have narrowed it. Why is weight an issue, I think breaking stuff on the trail would be far worse to worry about then weight.

And I wouldnt say the 8.8 has unbreakable shafts, I have seen them broken. Thats when guys upgrade to the ford 9 inch rear end and there are alot of options there to play with or a full floater D60 rear.

And nit pick means getting into deatils and pointing stuff out.
thanx for the explaining :icon_cheers:

going from dana35 to f8.8 is an upgrade for me. dont forget that i only have a 2.5 turbodiesel with 116 hp. my problem is the weight of the car, not his horspower. i have the torque i need to play around and do my offroad picknic:D
going from a dana35 7.8" crown to an 8.8" is an improvment
going from a dana30 7.something crown to an 8.8" even in reverse is an improvment.

about dana60, there is no such thing as a dana60 rear axle. only GM14
even and narrowing a dana60 how much weight can i loose? only some pounds.
for my 35" tires i think that ford8.8 will hold up just fine.

you can see the difference between what i had and what i will have:D

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im just wondering why the weight of your vehicle is such an issue?

I know going to an 8.8 from a D35 is an upgrade. My 7.5 rear axle is actually sronger then a rear D35.

And one thing alot of us guys here in the states we wish we could have are the diesel ranger, jeeps, etc....

I will also say the weight of your vehicle had alot to do with why your D30 kept breaking on you. What tire size are you running?

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the driver has a brain damage:D
i know that the turned wheels cause problems and mostly to the u-joints but i hope i will solve this with a pair of RCV's.

Why do you think i need a hydro steering?:icon_confused:
Because, in that video in the "first 55 seconds" that you mentioned to watch for, you broke because you went down that embankment, tires jammed to the left. If you had hydro steering you could of EASILY turned right, and driven it out... instead, you put it into reverse and shifted all weight onto a jammed up front end.

I'm all for this hybrid axle, looks cool. Just stating a few facts, that your axle broke a lot, from what I could see, due to carelessness of the driver, and I am expecting to see some of the same carnage with your new axle if you continue wheeling like that. I wouldn't of even done that with my rig, and I have fully built D60's

Last edited:

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
And one thing alot of us guys here in the states we wish we could have are the diesel ranger, jeeps, etc....
ha!! one man's trash, is another's gold...

my personal weight and my car weight has always been a problem:D

i used to run 35/14.5/15 bogger, or 35/12.4/15 TRXUS but now i have only the 36/13.5/15 IROK. stuck with Interco :D

an irrelevant question... from which state most of you are?:icon_confused:

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
Because, in that video in the "first 55 seconds" that you mentioned to watch for, you broke because you went down that embankment, tires jammed to the left. If you had hydro steering you could of EASILY turned right, and driven it out... instead, you put it into reverse and shifted all weight onto a jammed up front end.

I'm all for this hybrid axle, looks cool. Just stating a few facts, that your axle broke a lot, from what I could see, due to carelessness of the driver, and I am expecting to see some of the same carnage with your new axle if you continue wheeling like that. I wouldn't of even done that with my rig, and I have fully built D60's
and you are sooooooo right.
but what can i do? some times the wheel has to turn...
there was a point of my life that i didn't care about the cost on breaking anything.
i used to drive without caring about the weight of my car, or without thinking the capabilities of my car. some times i know i overestimate it and some times my brain just locks. i must go where i must go, or else... cover it with gas and fire

in the future i promised to my little "hippo" that i will be more gentle.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
not sure what "not to nit pick..." means... sorry. my english some times are limited.:D

anyway, about the C's i have in mind to beef them up as much as i can. can not go to aftermarket for now.
Toyota? Milions of Hilux. but only with the small diff. 8" and 7,5". Toyota with big differentials are only the Land Cruiser and people who have land cruiser dont sell them, they upgrade them...
Dana60-Gm14 was a good, cheep (1200euros for a D60 and GM14) and unbreakable solution but the weight of theese axles is three times biger than a F8.8. my XJ is allready heavy, i dont need more weight.
thats why i ended up on F8.8
my main problem in the D30 & D35 was the small crown pinion and the week axleshafts in front. i never broke a chromoly shaft in D35. only crown pinions.
Now with the F8.8 i will have a big crown pinion and two unbreakable shafts in the rear. Same thing in front with the RCV Performance (i hope).
thats why i ended up on this solution. And it came up cheep until now. 750euros for the two axles.
and hope to buy axleshafts and crown-pinions from U.S. avoiding customs.
those small yota axles are pretty damn strong. there is alot more to it than just ring gear.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
subscribed... i'm interested.

antonisxj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Engine Size
2,5 TD
Transmission
Manual
those small yota axles are pretty damn strong. there is alot more to it than just ring gear.
yes.
ring gear 8" and axle shafts like a dana60. the bad part is their CV Joints. of course after market cv joints are much stronger and hold up very good.
i've never seen toyota axleshafts crack with 35" tires. only the ring gears and the cv joints.
oh! and another strange thing is that the front with the rare diff, are exactly the same. you can take a rear third member and stick it to the front. close enough on what i'm triying to do with the f8.8
if i had two F9 it might been easyer.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Wow, I think this is a pretty cool swap. Looks like alot of work went into the front axle build.

I would agree that the driver has alot to do with breakage level. I know when I disengage my brain for a few minutes, I seem to break stuff quicker.

As for the 8.8... I have twisted one 8.8 housing and snapped one 8.8 axle shaft. In my situation, I am done with 8.8's all together!

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yes.
ring gear 8" and axle shafts like a dana60. the bad part is their CV Joints. of course after market cv joints are much stronger and hold up very good.
i've never seen toyota axleshafts crack with 35" tires. only the ring gears and the cv joints.
oh! and another strange thing is that the front with the rare diff, are exactly the same. you can take a rear third member and stick it to the front. close enough on what i'm triying to do with the f8.8
if i had two F9 it might been easyer.
are you at least bracing the D30 parts those are by far the weakest points. you seem to have kept all of the worst parts of the D30. unitbearing hubs and the weak C's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals