Hunting down rattle in door and looking for feedback on expected ride quality of Ranger

bmjohnson35

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Transmission
Manual
I recently acquired a 2006 ranger. The truck has 244k miles on the body. I'm not sure how quiet these were originally, but there's a metallic rattle around the driver side door latch area whenever you hit pot holes or rough spots on the road. The ride is relatively quiet for a 14 year old base model pickup. Is creaks and rattles common on these or were they originally quiet and solid? I assume it's reflective of age and mileage, but wanted to seek input from the forum.

Assuming there are some corrective measures I can take to reduce the rattles and "tighten up" the cab, I already plan to replace flooring and possibly add some butyl sound deadening mat on the interior floors, doors & walls. The door weather strip is soft and compliant, with no tears and I don't hear any air leaks. The hardware for the door latch are all tight. I see a door hinge pin and bushing kit available online. Does this sound reasonable item to try to address the rattle or does the group have any other suggestion(s)?

Thanks,
BJ