• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hub may be going bad

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I suspected at first the ratcheting rotational noise was the wheel bearings at first. After inspecting and re-packing them I think it is my warn manual hub. I believe when the bearing failed a month ago the hub may have been damaged (although 4x4 still works).

I looked inside the hub and it looked ok, a bit darker inside than the driver side hub, and the c clip inside looks a lot more worn as well.

Can I just order new parts for it or a single new hub and not have to buy 2?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
disengage the manual hubs and if the sounds goes away then chances are its the hubs.

If not then you need to look back at the bearings and the surface the bearings ride on.

Its also possibly the spindle is slightly bent and the notched part of the spindle is rubbing the inside aluminum nobs where that C-clip is. ( I have done this to mine and it took me a week to figure out why it was rubbing)

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
did you try running with the hubs locked and tcase in 2hi if the noise goes away, my guess would be the shaft bearing in the hub is in pieces and is letting the splined collar start to engage. when I got my 94 it had a metallic rattling/buzzing/ringing sound but only with the hubs unlocked, I dissembled the hub making the noise and the bearing was completely destroyed put my spare hub on and the problem went away. somebody on this site said that #SCE-248 is a part # that will replace the hub bearing I don't know if it is correct or not

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
It makes the noise when the hubs are not engaged and I am just driving around. The bearings, races and spindle looked fine when I had it apart yesterday. I think the chewed up c-clip may be the cause of the problem, I just don't know if I can simply order a new piece or entire hub or what.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
did you try running with the hubs locked and tcase in 2hi if the noise goes away, my guess would be the shaft bearing in the hub is in pieces and is letting the splined collar start to engage. when I got my 94 it had a metallic rattling/buzzing/ringing sound but only with the hubs unlocked, I dissembled the hub making the noise and the bearing was completely destroyed put my spare hub on and the problem went away. somebody on this site said that #SCE-248 is a part # that will replace the hub bearing I don't know if it is correct or not
i will go out in a bit and engage them and see if it goes away then.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
my 79 bronco is ticking too.. its the passenger side manual hub it isnt engaging. jack your up and unlock the hub and spin the wheel to see if the shafts are moving inside, if the shafts move than its your hub.

at least thats how it is on my 79

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I drove it today with the hub locked in and the noise disappeared.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
So when the 4x4 is engaged and the hubs are Not. There is Noise.

When the 4x4 hubs are locked and the transfer case is engaged there is No Noise?

Have I got that right?

If that is the case..

I would hazard a guess at this point that there is "something" rolling around in the hub that shouldn't be there. Probably a metal fragment. And you need to do a exploratory on the hubs to find out what that something is. Before it does any more damage. Oh and get them nice and clean while you are at it.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
my 79 bronco is ticking too.. its the passenger side manual hub it isnt engaging. jack your up and unlock the hub and spin the wheel to see if the shafts are moving inside, if the shafts move than its your hub.

at least thats how it is on my 79
sorry i meant that it IS always engaged. i just cant figure out how to get the ****in thing off. way more complicated than on the rangers. i had to cut off the outside off, take off so many snap rings and another steel clip just inside the hub and theres a tool needed for a spacer-type thing.. i honestly would rather to take out the axle and bolt another one in place of it. too bad my spare didnt have the hubs or i would have that one bolted in for long ago.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
So when the 4x4 is engaged and the hubs are Not. There is Noise.

When the 4x4 hubs are locked and the transfer case is engaged there is No Noise?

Have I got that right?

If that is the case..

I would hazard a guess at this point that there is "something" rolling around in the hub that shouldn't be there. Probably a metal fragment. And you need to do a exploratory on the hubs to find out what that something is. Before it does any more damage. Oh and get them nice and clean while you are at it.
When in 2 hi and hubs disengaged, noise
when in 2hi and hubs engages noise is gone

Im suspecting something is toast in the passenger hub

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely examine those hubs. The hubs in 2 hi engaged or not still spin around the Spindle. This is where I am suspecting either a slightly bent spindle or "something" caught in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals