• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How's your 5-speed tranny holding up?

Remodelboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My son just bought his first vehicle - 2002 Ranger Supercab with the 2.3L and 5-speed. On the way back from buying it, I noticed a slight whine in 5th gear that would show up when I pressed on the gas slightly and dissapeared when I let up on the pedal.

The previous owner said that he just had the tranny rebuilt and overall it shifts well - not sportscar smooth, but kind of heavy duty, like a bigger truck.

It has larger tires on it and on the freeway, even though the speedo said 55 and 60, I'm pretty sure that I was going about 10 mph faster. I'm thinking that part of the problem was that I was in 5th gear on the freeway, but probably not really going fast enough for 5th gear.

I've just finished reading every thread on this forum about the 4 cyl engines and it seems like most everyone thinks that this engine is strong and will hold up well - even with it's noise and vibrations. I was just trying to find out how well the 5-speed manual transmission will last and if anyone else has that whining noise in 5th gear.

Thanks in advance!

RC

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 93 has always had a little whine in 5th gear, and I don't think it's necessarily uncommon. Haven't had any problems yet with it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the M5OD is the best transmission ford put in the ranger, it generally outlasts whatever powerplant its attached to.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
4th gear is the only gear in the m5od that is directly on the main shaft(the quitest) all the others run on a different shaft so its normal to hear a little somethin on each gear

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the M5OD is the best transmission ford put in the ranger, it generally outlasts whatever powerplant its attached to.
Not in my experience. I've never seen a tranny last as long as an engine in anything, except VWs.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
^^^What he said.....I'm on my second M50D now, due to input bearing and synchro wear (no failure, but replaced with spare before I got stranded).

The extra noise is just all the other gears and bearings like previously stated, 4th is usually the quiet gear.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My dad's 2.3 ranger probably had well over 200K on it when he got it and hes put 90K on it and I drove it for 8 months as my first vehicle, we've both beat the hell out of it and the motor and tranny are still doing great. The tranny has a bit of input bearing and 5th gear noise but it's always had it and it's never gotten any worse.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I hear a small humming/whine (hard to describe) as well. It happens from 65-75 (IIRC) mph on 5th gear. It's very hard to hear sometimes and most of the times I don't notice it, but it has always been there. Granted the truck has a hard time picking up speed on 5th gear, but like you said, it ain't a sports car.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My '90 2.3 Ranger had 290K on it when we sold it and it still had the original clutch and M50D and I never did any maintenance on it (I was 16 and stupid)... My '92 2.9 Ranger was on it's third A4LD at 250K and it was beginning to slip when I sold it... As long as you keep fluid in it, it should last... When I bought my Explorer it has some obvious tranny noises, it was completely empty (maybe 5-10% fluid left)... I put some ATF in it and you can still hear it, but it's much quieter now... I'll be rebuilding it this winter so I can live with barely being able to shift it, lol...

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 2004 leaks out of the rear seal. It was down to under 1/2 quart when I checked it last november. I got some expensive fluid and installed it. I think I put Redline synthetic in it. Its quieter now but I need to replace the rear seal. Someone told me its an easy job to do. My 2004 has 116,000 on it now.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the whine u hear could also be the rear dif.. maybe check it out, put some fresh gear oil in there. in my owners manual, ford says the rear dif lube shud last the life of the vehicle. but when i took it to get re geared at 44k the mechanic said the bearings were burnt up and i saw it for myself. they reccomend changing the gear oil every like 16k or every 2 years.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Every 16k miles? Haynes manual says every 100k or when submerged in water. Every 16k seems... excessive.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea thats wat i thought too but shit its cheaper than 500$ to replace bearings

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals