• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

howdy from south texas!!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

i recently got this good looking little truck from my uncle. he turned 80 and started having trouble with his knee so he asked if i wanted to buy the truck from him. i wanted a small truck again so this was perfect.

i have some experience on rangers and Mazda b2300 trucks from my dad owning a plumbing company and he would only buy those trucks as company trucks. i would do all the maintenance on them which only consisted of fluid changes and normal stuff because they never broke down. i drove a 98 b2300 single cab five speed all over texas doing plumbing tests and when i left to my current job, that ol Mazda had a bit over 300k on it and still looked and ran great.

i didn't know what a ranger edge was till getting it home and wondering why it was such a stiff riding truck compared to the old company trucks so google informed me about the suspension. i am glad its heavier than the regular single cabs because i have this truck for trips to the hardware store for wood and drywall (which made my 98 gmc Sonoma step side into a low rider).

this truck has a bit over 200k miles on it, which is low miles around here. it starts up immediately and no check lights are on. it looks good and has a sprayed in bed liner. the only negative things i have found is the clutch is very low to the floor and it needs a receiver hitch on the back.
its never had a ball on the bumper and having a receiver hitch has saved a few vehicles in rear end accidents so that's a big reason for me to put it on because while i may occasionally to my little 5x8 trailer, it will be very rare.

anyways, i have been reading the site for a number of days waiting to receive the email letting me post. i had to change to an alternate email to get access so i am finally able to post. i checked out a bunch of sites prior to picking this one to join, it seems more adult than a lot of the other ones out there.

i am ex-army and went to college for aviation maintenance. i have been working in aviation for almost 20 years now. i have lots of experience working on cars because i was always to broke to pay someone else to do it, ha ha ha. unfortunately, my wrists have paid the price of being on the computer or on a wrench full time so its hard to do major mechanical work anymore without having to live on pain killers for a few days afterwards. that's a huge bummer because i have always modded my vehicles. i put a 302 and c6 in my wrangler a few years back, swapped 4 cylinder bmws to 6 cylinder engines, changed auto transmissions to standard, run my own exhaust, suspension work from coil overs for autocross racing to lift kits for off-roading, and attempted a stand alone engine management system before learning i am not computer literate enough to do that. too bad because my little 325i bmw would have been a blast with that turbo kit on it.

happy to be here though and always enjoy the old school forums like this versus the brainlessness you see on facebook and that type of stuff.
jason

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Welcome to TRS.
Thank you for your service.
Annnnnndddd nice lookin' Ranger.
The fact that it's Red puts you in good graces with certain people on this forum.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
thanks.

its funny that my two single cab five speed four cylinders both happened to be the same red. that 98 gmc Sonoma and this 04 ranger.

do they make performance suspension kits for this truck? i have never looked but thinking back to my Sonoma, it came form the factory with the sport kit on it and it was fun to drive through the turns. factory lowering springs, front and rear sway bars, wide rims with low profile tires.... i bet this ranger would be just as fun. this has the same suspension set up my 01 frontier had with the torsion bars so i bet they need to be reclocked, or replaced to do anything serious for lifting or lowering, right?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
There's tons of stuff available, but there are much more knowledgeable people on here to help with that.
Take a look in the Tech Section as well, especially in the suspension section. Lots of links and explanations.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
These torsion bar trucks can get a bit of lift or drop with a turn or two on the torsion bar keys. The trouble is going to far. There is only so much travel and raising or lowering them loses either rebound or compression travel. So there is a limited amount you can go and still maintain a decent ride. They also make different stiffness torsion bars.

Nice looking truck.

Welcome to TRS...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals